Family compenet

bjenk8100

Hello,

I made a family file. It is a typical ladder. I was just messing around and wanted to make a typical ladder construction workers use to go up and down. In family editor I unchecked the vertical direction only box in category and parameters. I loaded family into my project. I cannot rotate it in every view. I can rotate it in 3D but not the way I want. When I go to an elevation I cannot rotate the ladder (leaning against the wall for instance). Any help would be great. I looked around and only thing I saw was to uncheck that vertical only box. I used generic template.

Tnx

well i apologize for the thread misspelling. I figured out a solution but it still kind of bothers me. A fix to my problem is to use a different template. The generic one makes it very difficult to achieve rotation of your component in all dimensions. I found somewhere that the mechanical equipment template allows you to rotate in each view. Now this raises another issue. How is someone really suppose to know these specific differences. I understand it is a matter of getting use to. One would think that the generic template would have free rotation. I highly doubt this exists but if anyone sees or knows of a descriptive set of information to each template that would be greatly appreciated.

Well, Maybe I helped someone else this time. :shock:

Maybe that is not the answer. I made a simple component and brought it in and it worked. Later it did not. I think maybe if you drag it around and pin it to something it will prevent you from being able to rotate in all directions. What the heck so frustrating.

I'm not sure I'm following clearly... but if you use Generic Model, then yes - you have free reign to move/rotate as required, without constraint. Don't use Face Based Hosted Family Template and you'll be all gravy.