Inventor Joint Alignemnt Options

Zac Davis

Im trying to align the part in the picture with the xz plan . so im using joints this time instead of constraints, alignment doesn't work for me . ive tried to choose first alignment the top plane of the bullet , then ive tried the origin of the part, it seems like everything is ok on the first alignment , i can see it chooses the correct plan and i get the red arrow indicating the direction , but the second alignment doesn't work for me . i tried also choosing the origin plane of other parts or their faces ..the part isnt aligned yet.

First Alignment.jpg

Align K.jpg

It difficult to answer without the model you have on screen, when you align using this method it will only work if you are picking an planer face, edge or work geometry on or next to the component. You cannot pick a random surface. Hope this helps?

As shown below may best explain

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55381[/ATTACH]

so i think ive got it , in the case of the saddle attached to the cylinder (like in my picture) the only way to align it is to the cylinder (pipe)origin plan (a pipe doesnt have any oriented face), so i did it and its working . thank you man! i think "joints" a great solution for many situations instead of many constraints