Lost all my blocks, Need help restoring them

ColinPearson

Holy hell, somehow I did an awful copy/paste over everything in a drawing that's about 3 years old which includes a couple hundred blocks that I use all the time. That must have been right before I backed it up last, b/c the version on the server is the same. I didn't audit or purge the dwg though, so I can still go Insert>Block and insert them one-by-one... is there a way to insert ALL blocks in one step? THANKS ALL IN ADVANCE!

Why? Do you really want to go through this again?

So, you can see how vulnerable having all your blocks in one file can be. You should probably consider making separate files for each block and organizing them in a library type fashion.

A couple of different options (via lisp) discussed in this thread.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?43141-A-lisp-to-insert-all-blocks-in-the-file

For future consideration.

1) Back up this master block drawing to a flash drive.

2) Consider separating the blocks out individually (maybe a dozen at a time as your schedule allows).

No, so I can get the work back that' taken MANY elapsed days over several elapsed years to compile. If you don't have anything that might help, then why bother to respond? Don't they make Reddit and Facebook for that kind of thing?

I understand and I'm afraid that you misunderstood me. It was more of a rhetorical question to make you think about what you are doing. The work is not gone. The blocks are still there. I was only suggesting that you separate them so that you don't risk totally losing all of them by saving over the file again. They can easily be inserted into files from that file using design center. You can still have a master file with all your blocks for ease of access but there are better ways to structure your library that are much less risky.

ReMark: Thank you for the idea, I will try to get the LISP to run.

RobDraw: Thank you also for the comment, I don't have any idea what Design Center is, but it sounds like something I need to Google!

You can do the opposite export out all blocks to individual dwgs, it can be done quite simply via lisp make a list of all block names insert them 1 at a time then Wblock them out and repeat. You will be amazed how fast this will happen. Try http://www.lee-mac.com if anybody has an export he will have. Likewise a simple script or lisp will bring them all back in say a directory at a time.

If you looked at the thread I posted a link to you'll find that Lee Mac responded with a lisp routine. It may have been one of the earlier iterations.

I read the Lee Mac link and was actually thinking that he probably had something like that. Seems like a real programming whiz! Thanks for all the help y'all. :)