Vertical offset of text from horizontal dimension?

CADIDAC

I’m placing horizontal linear dimensions and I’d like to add text below the dimension line. I’d like the text to be center or center-top justified so that I can place the text in paper space using the middle insertion point on the middle snap of the dimension string. This works but unfortunately the top text touches the dimension string and is difficult to read when printed. Is it possible to place a string of text with a center justification point with a specific vertical offset (about 1/8”)? I’ve tried this with a multi-leader with the leader removed, mtext, and text and cannot figure out a way to vertically offset the middle justification point. I’m using AutoCAD 2014 if that helps.

The attached image gives a better idea of what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to offset the text below the dimension line. You can see the text highlighted with center justification point shown.

Text offset.jpg

You can edit the text in the dim so after the dimension text type \X(INSIDE CURB...)

If you use properties, go the the text override cell and type \X(INSIDE CURB...)

If the same text is used often you can create a dim style and add the \X(INSIDE CURB...) to the text suffix section in the dimstyle manager.

Thank you, the \X(text) works great? How come some of the dimensions the numbers and text are close to the line while in other cases there are far from the line?

CLOSE TEXT.jpg

FAR TEXT.jpg

Text Offset must be different values. Are they the same dim style? They could be over ridden through properties even if they are the same style.

Thank you, the \X(text) works great? How come some of the dimensions the numbers and text are close to the line while in other cases there are far from the line?

It may be related to the inclusion of a fraction in one of them, as it appears that the actual distances between the bottom of the 1 and the top of the parenthesis are different., not only their relationships to the dim line. The offsets from the bottom of the fraction to the top of the parenthesis, while different than on the right one, are balanced.

I would agree with rkent. If you select both dimensions at the same time and look in Properties, you should be able to figure it out, look for any values for which is shown.

Thanks guys, the text offset matches and there doesn't appear to be anything in properties that varies which would cause this to occur. Both are the same dim style. I have attached both offending items in a single drawing, maybe the experts here could take a peak?

Non-matching dimensions.dwg

The dim text had been moved with grips and for some reason AutoCAD won't apply the text offset when that happens, when the additional text has been added. If you center justify the dim text then the spacing will be the same as the other one. Right or Left justify work also. Looks like you found a bug, or feature, depending.

Thanks again rkent. Can I ask how you know the dim text in the closer of the two dimensions was moved? I attempted to move it around and then back and the gap still remains smaller.

On a hunch I edited the text to remove the \X(TYP.), then used the DIMTEDIT and used the Center justify. I saw the text move back up away from the dim line. Then I used a grip to move the text off of center, then I added the \X(TYP.) back and the offset changed to the smaller amount.

You say you moved it around, but did you use DIMTEDIT and center, or did you move it with the grips?