text parameters

They any text kind of parameters for blocks in autocad 2014. Simple as this, save a number as a block. Insert block into a drawing. Insert another into a drawings and go to block editor and change one without the other changing.

I would think AutoCAD could do this.

In addition, anything else you could do to get rid of blocks that are not in use or are not even alive anymore besides purge command? Hilarious, AutoCAD is so good at some stuff and bad at other, Revit so good at the opposite stuff and bad at the other. The AutoDesk people are making me a crazy person.

Attributes is what I needed thanks. However, I saw something somewhere and they had this titleblock and one part of it was "drawn by". He clicked it and a list of entire firm names were in a drop down box. He could pick his or someone elses name. That is what I want to learn how to do. As far as my purge fear, I fear it will delete outside of the current drawing and or another drawing you might also have open.

Attributes is what I needed thanks. However, I saw something somewhere and they had this titleblock and one part of it was "drawn by". He clicked it and a list of entire firm names were in a drop down box. He could pick his or someone elses name. That is what I want to learn how to do. As far as my purge fear, I fear it will delete outside of the current drawing and or another drawing you might also have open.

PURGE is a drawing specific command, it won't take off like a runaway train and go through your whole computer.

If you are that concerned, then you can check confirm each item before purge.

confirm items to be purged option.JPG

I use Purge all the time, with multiple drawings open. It only removes unused items within the drawing you are currently working in. It will not remove anything from other drawings you have open.

I don't know about the list of names in a drop down box. I've never needed that sort of functionality before.

Thanks guys. I posted earlier in beginner because I have always had probs with texts. I really think AutoCAD needs to work on that. Almost every other program is more friendly in that realm. Text should be the easiest part of a project/drawing. I do not like just free moving anything in any CAD World. ACAD text snaps and what not are terrible. I forgot all about Attributes, thank you very much that solved my revision triangle with text situation.

As far as that drop down stuff with all those things to choose from. Watch this. He has it set up perfect.

Link should work copy/paste. If not, thats probably his name at the end. Dynamic block topic on http://www.youtube.com

Yeah, I looked around online last night and found that video. The problem is that he's just showing how his title block is set up. He doesn't actually explain how he set it up. He's probably using a Lookup parameter but I don't know how to make that work. I don't really use dynamic blocks very much.

wonder if civil 3D has anything to do with it
No, they all have the same native block attribute functions, and can work like that. The block may be connected by hyperlink to an Excel spreadsheet, or maybe it's an internal AutoCad table with all the names on it.

The dynamic block used in the youtube was pretty advanced as has been hinted by posters here.

An alternative method is using lisp to fill in all your title block details. You could do the same type of pick from a list, we dont know when we start a project how many layout tabs we need (do all in layouts) some examples, we have renumber the layouts as sheets have been reordered or just to update No of sheets, copy details from 1st sheet across all sheets. This updates output from a 3rd party software output.

The other method to use is to xref your title block and this has all the details prefilled.

i wonder if i should learn Lisp. I do not know how to program. I am good at math so it probably would not be that hard. Worth the effort?