Update of Alias Freeform feature

Enfiel3D

Hello everyone!

As I mentioned before, I don't normally work in Inventor. But sometimes I need to power it up and do some tasks. And today I discovered rather unpleasant thing. :( If I put an Alias Freeform feature in my tree, and I do and update of body shape before this feature, it does not update correspondingly. The only workaround I discovered is to delete the Alias Freeform feature and re-create it. That, to my opinion, utterly defeats the whole thing. Is this as designed? Or am I - hopefully - missing something?

Autodesk also understood some of these flaws and has since removed this from the software. Now there are freeform tools as of Inventor 2015 which are much more robust for this type of work. They basically added NURBs based tools that were part of their T-Splines acquisition. They also added native wire file associativity to Inventor so if your Alias model changes, so does the Inventor model.

Around 2010/11 Autodesk introduced Alias for Inventor, you had to own the full version of Autodesk Alias and install a plugin into Inventor to get it to work, it was very limited on what it could do just a basic program that added another tab in the ribbon that allowed you to direct edit models. Then in 2012 Inventor included a built in version called Inventor Fusion this then allowed you to open fusion inside Inventor being a separate stand alone program it still kept the link between fusion edits and inventor parametric edits with one flaw the exact same issue you stated. Once you have a Fusion model inside your tree you cannot go back and edit the features before it was created. Next was T-Splines and as Mark has stated now fixes this problem. Inventor 2016 was released this year and it pushed T-Splines even further closing the gap on the now cloud based Fusion 360.