Ellipse right side view?

Sengna

Does the ellipse look correct? on the right side view on the red arrow point to, I projected the ellipse from the top view, the reason the ellipse looks so long is because I want to 6” ss pipe tangential to the 54 in tank. any other easier way to do beside doing from 3D?

tank.JPG

It won't be an ellipse, a better description would be teardrop shaped, try it in 3D and see. Maybe someone with pipefitting experience will know of a simple method to do this.

It won't be an ellipse, a better description would be teardrop shaped, try it in 3D and see. Maybe someone with pipefitting experience will know of a simple method to do this.

Tear drop shaped ha? never heard of that. I wish i know how to do in 3D. I was a beginner in inventor but still i am not that far yet. i thought i should be an ellipse though Steven-g

The shape will not be elliptical. Here is an example. The tank is 36" in diameter. Wall thickness is 3/8". A 2" pipe (2 3/8" O.D.) was used to penetrate the tank.

Visual style: 2D wireframe.

We don't normally follow this technique when making a sideways entry to a tank as we prefer to enter a couple of inches in from the quadrant point resulting in a less elongated hole.

PipeTangent_1.jpg

Edited by ReMark

Do u know the reason why they chose this technique to have the pipe penatrate the tank this way? Remark or someone. Can you please show me for how will my hole will look like? How do I project the line from top view? Tank is 54", 3/8 thick and 6" pipe. I away from my computer at the moment

Sengna take a look at the attached, pick a point on the pipe and it will highlight the path for setting this out in 2D, the more points you have the better the results.

There's got to be a better name than teardrop?

Tear.dwg

Sengna take a look at the attached, pick a point on the pipe and it will highlight the path for setting this out in 2D, the more points you have the better the results.

There's got to be a better name than teardrop?

Thanks a lot Steven-g sorry to wake you up, i will look into it. Thank you reMark for all the helps.