Snap wont work properly

Marco1979

Hi, we recently had a 5-day Revit course, and i had some trouble snapping parallel or perp. to rotated objects. Mainly when creating a section on a rotated beam. It just wont snap parallel or perpendicular. Experienced it on 2 different computers.

This one time on a notebook, it didnt snap like i said...and all of sudden it did....anyone any thoughts?

Is it a rotated beam, or a sloped beam? I can't picture in my mind exactly what's going on based on your description. Can you give us a screenshot?

I think what's happening, is that section cuts with certain categories that aren't perpendicular to the section view will give you problems. This is especially true with MEP System Families such as Pipe, Duct, etc.

So it's not the "snap" that is giving you trouble, it's the orientation of the section view with the object itself. Can you provide some more details, preferably a screen shot or two?

Its a plan-view, a rotated beam. Like i said, the weird thing is the same thing happend on a notebook during lessons. All other guys could snap perpendicular (or aligned for that matter), but not me. They were all different laptops tho.

Snap.jpg

What command did you initiate while trying to Snap? Some commands are less robust in Snap options, such as Section Heads. I'll try and recreate this error myself and report back.

The screenshot was much more helpful, thank you.

-TZ

Update: Just as I suspected. I could snap perfectly fine with Detail Lines. But placing a Section View callout, I could not. I had to simply place the Section View callout manually in a orthogonal position, manually move it (snapping to the Section Tail and placing it to the Beam corner with the Endpoint Snap) and rotate via angle reference to get the Section to be truly transverse to the beam.

Hope this helps. -TZ

Hey TZF, thats a decent workaround indeed, thanx for that. Still wondering how the heck i could get the snap right... Is it possible it has something to do with structural/arch etc.?

Hey TZF, thats a decent workaround indeed, thanx for that. Still wondering how the heck i could get the snap right... Is it possible it has something to do with structural/arch etc.?
I still don't think there's really an issue. I just think you're thinking it's not working correctly - unless I'm missing something. Section View callouts only work a particular way with snapping. They are limited to begin with since they are not real objects, but a view reference.

Hope this makes sense. :)

-TZ