Dimension Style Issue

MechanicalAnimal

Hi all,

I apologize in advance for how I am going to try and describe this issue because it is very hard to explain and unfortunately it only happens at random for me.

Also I would like to add that I have seen online that other people are having this issue, however it seems as if no one has been able to find a solution to this problem.

When creating a new dim style (well call it TEST1 for explanation purposes) I go through the dialogue boxes and set everything to the way I would like to see it (text height, arrows, line lengths etc.) Then just before closing out of the dialogue box I click to set this style to the current style. When I go to place my first dimension I realize that it does not contain any of the characteristics that I had previously just set up with that dim style. Furthermore by clicking on the dim and looking at its properties, I realize that the dim style that has been assigned to it is not named "TEST1" but instead named "TEST1$0".

This wouldn't even be a particular issue if I could just go back into my dim settings and edit the "TEST1$0" dim style to the settings I need, however when I open the dim settings dialogue box this particular name is nowhere to be found.

From the bits and pieces of information I have read online I have seen that the issue could be accredited the fact that the drawing I am currently working in was originally created in a version of CAD that predates the current one I am working in (AutoCAD 2015 Mechanical). So that when I create my dim style (TEST1), CAD is creating the dim style as if it is being created in the predated version of CAD, and to "make up" for this error it creates a "cloned" version of this dim style for 2015 Mechanical and adds the "$0" to the end of it.

Ok.. The explanation was the hard part... if you were able to follow that I have 2 very simple questions lol.

Is this what is actually happening?

How do I fix or bypass this issue so that I can have a standard set up to begin my drawings with and rest assure that I am not going to have to play around with the dimension every time I create them.

Thank you in advance for all your help!

You have verified that the issue was not addressed in a service pack or via a hot fix?

Have you tried making this dimension style part of your template file and inserting the drawing that was created in a previous version into this template prior to making any revisions?

I am actually not sure if has been addressed in an update or patch of any kind.

Is there anywhere I can go to check the released bug fixes and patches?

ReMark,

So your statement about the template file got me thinking and I made a little progress:

It seems that if I have a template file created with the dim style I want (TEST1) and make all of the changes I need to make in the ORIGINAL FILE and then copy and paste it into the template file I am able to get it to work.

I then type in "dim" "update" "all" and it will throw all of the dimension that were created in the previous file onto the TEST1 dim style.

While this does indeed help with the current struggle it still doesn't completely solve the issue because as soon as I try to create a NEW dimension in the template file then it throws it right back onto the TEST1$0 layer.

Please let me know if my explanation is not making sense I realize how difficult it can be to try and explain/understand what I am talking about.

Any other ideas?

Thank you for the reply ReMark!

The explanation makes perfect sense. Unfortunately I have no other ideas at the time. Maybe another forum member has something more useful to offer.

Service packs and hot fixes are available at the AutoDesk website. They are not difficult to find.