Title Block

bjenk8100

Hello,

I figured this belongs in the beginner section. I have never made my title block in MS before. I was told to. My question is how I am suppose to have other viewports inside my title block viewport. The TB VP needs to be to the borders of the sheet. I do not think you can put a VP inside a VP. Any help is appreciated. I could always convert it to PS but I thought that was not a very good practice.

Tnx

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bjenk8100

• ReMark

• Dadgad

• Cad64

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I like to put my sheet in Paperspace, not Modelspace, there are those who do not.

Then in Paperspace you can put as many viewports as you want. I typically have one large one which is about the size of the usable space inside my border.

As a drawing takes shape I will add viewports over that one as needed.

You can cycle through the different viewports in a layout by holding down Ctrl + hitting R, as many times as needed to select and activate a viewport.

I have always made VPs in PS. I just made one in MS. When I go to PS and add a viewport inside my Title Block VP it just does not act right. I try to click in the one inside and it just goes to the Title block viewport instead.

great that works! Now, before I go into things that I do not know about. Can I make a block in PS. Why would someone prefer MS titleblock. Only thing I can think of is that its much easier to work in MS. I spent all this time making attributes in TB in MS. I would rather PS TB too. I do not want to do it all over.

Your title block and border belong in paper space as that's what it was designed for. People who put their title block and border in model space are either old timers who never adopted the use of paper space and/or those who are creating drawings that do not require a scale (like electrical schematics or P&ID's).

Your title block and border belong in paper space as that's what it was designed for. People who put their title block and border in model space are either old timers who never adopted the use of paper space and/or those who are creating drawings that do not require a scale (like electrical schematics or P&ID's).

Having just finished our first project with ProSteel, where everything is done in Modelspace, I miss my Paperspace, viewports and such. :|

Just to play devils advocate, I prefer my title block in MS along with any project specific attributes, and this is then used in paperspace through a viewport, so with multiple layouts in a dwg file the title block is only used once in a drawing file, and if edits are rquired you only do it once in MS. Same for starting new projects just fill in the details in MS attributes for project number, client name etc and it is correct for every layout. Any info that relates to each individual layout is kept in the paperspace layout in a seperate block, things like sheet/drawing numer, scale, description etc. The template file has a copy of each paper layout size with borders and info blocks along with the title block viewport laid out as needed. I keep the titile block at a fixed location in the negative quadrant of model space. Just to be clear it is only the title block in MS not the paper borders, they are in PS.

so with multiple layouts in a dwg file the title block is only used once in a drawing file, and if edits are rquired you only do it once

Making it an XREF would take it to the next level. You can have the one file used not only on multiple layouts but across multiple files.

great that works! Now, before I go into things that I do not know about. Can I make a block in PS. Why would someone prefer MS titleblock. Only thing I can think of is that its much easier to work in MS. I spent all this time making attributes in TB in MS. I would rather PS TB too. I do not want to do it all over.
Are you sure you have interpreted the instructions given to properly. Maybe you are to create the titleblock in modelspace, and make it a block, then insert it into the paperspace layouts?

I agree with paper space. This guy thinks paper space is for those that have no need to edit model space. I like leaving model space to the technical drawing(s). It just seems more practical and organized. I have never created a block or added attributes in paper space and did not even know if you could. I will spend some time now and see if you can. If so, I do not see y your title block should NOT be a block with attributes. Only thing I do not like is ability to move attributes. For instance, if you set up a multi-line text you can snap and move to desired location and edit text and it will remain bottom line center, upper left, etc. Attributes are kind of stuck it seems. Yes, I have used multi-line attributes. You still get stuck. This is funny. This title block was made in model space thinking that it was going into Revit. Revit is paper space friendly!:) I thought I was a newb.

As for the philosophical comments on where the titleblock should reside, I believe bjenk is a contractor/consultant so I'm assuming he actually "must" create a titleblock in MS to meet the client's wishes.

Dana W I think that is exactly what I am going to do even though I have never done anything of the like. I just like to draw models and not have to worry about a Title block. Thats why I want to do this as a block with attributes. My friend told me to get title block out of MS. The CNC and/or burn table will have a stroke. LOL.

Ok, Figured out what was going on. DOT demands everything in Model Space and in dwg or dgn file types. That way their newbs cannot edit it (must lock) but leave the paper space to them.

lol

i dunno how to lock anything except my door. Another person does all that, lol. They told me "....if you lock then its yours why would we want that?"

prob didnt make much sense. sry. PE's like to look at the worst. i go back to cad for math purposes (area,volume,Im,c-c,i-i,k, etc.). However, can admins post to autodesk that they should put phases in all autodesk products?

Are you sure you have interpreted the instructions given to properly. Maybe you are to create the titleblock in modelspace, and make it a block, then insert it into the paperspace layouts?

That is exactly how we have done ours in Autocad for a long time.

Now in ProSteel the whole ball of wax is in Modelspace. :beer:

The newbs at the D.O.T. most certainly can edit the drawing whether the entities being edited are in model or paper space. Locked layers can be unlocked. What instructions have you been given by the D.O.T. on how to lock a drawing? I'd be most interested hearing about their methodology.