title block

bjenk8100

Hello,

The last thing I want to worry about are title blocks in any program. I started making one in Revit and started to freak and rage. I went to Autocad and made one and imported it into a sheet. I exploded it like your suppose to. Now, I do not understand why Revit can be so good in some ways and terrible with other. The editable features in templates are close to notepad. Am I suppose to just stick to my exploded template from dwg? It aligns great but I prefer attributes. I am guessing someone will say look into labels. Just do not understand how such a powerful program has a primitive setup for this. I feel like they spent so much time on everything else they ran out of time and threw template stuff together last minute. If I am way off let me know.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bjenk8100

• tzframpton

• RobDraw

• halam

Top Posters In This Topic

You are way off.

I wouldn't get into the habit of importing .dwgs unless you are sure that you can convert EVERYTHING to native Revit objects. You are misusing the term "template". You mean "title block".

Revit title blocks are very functional. I might dare say, more so than AutoCAD. I'm not well versed in them, yet, but I would take a look at what comes with Revit and do some reverse engineering so that you can create your own. I'm sure there are plenty of tutorials about them, also.

But, you won't learn anything and you won't get the functionality. If you want to work in AutoCAD because you can do it faster, then stick with AutoCAD. If you want to work in Revit, do that. Don't import. There are issues with doing that. It's not meant as a function, it's more for convenience for certain things.

Hello,

The last thing I want to worry about are title blocks in any program. I started making one in Revit and started to freak and rage. I went to Autocad and made one and imported it into a sheet. I exploded it like your suppose to. Now, I do not understand why Revit can be so good in some ways and terrible with other. The editable features in templates are close to notepad. Am I suppose to just stick to my exploded template from dwg? It aligns great but I prefer attributes. I am guessing someone will say look into labels. Just do not understand how such a powerful program has a primitive setup for this. I feel like they spent so much time on everything else they ran out of time and threw template stuff together last minute. If I am way off let me know.

You are way off. Just "letting you know". ;)

i can draw a title block in autocad in 10 minutes
I can create a Titleblock in Revit in 10 minutes, too, but it'll be just as "dumb" as an AutoCAD Titleblock.

Let me back up. Just because Revit has a bland interface doesn't mean it's not powerful. Sure, Revit uses a simple interface - maybe the developers didn't have much other option with that. But a bland looking car can have a powerful motor under the hood.

If you're not using Labels in your Revit Titleblock then you are missing out of the very core of Revit's powerful bidirectional capabilities. I didn't realize you weren't using Revit on even a basic level as simple Labels in your Titleblock. Our Titleblock is amazingly robust and is so automated we rarely have to think about anything Titleblock related. Granted, it takes time and effort to get here, but when you do, you'll find yourself in the "state of Revit zen" as people like to call it.

Do yourself two favors: make Labels in your Titleblock, and quit comparing Revit to AutoCAD.... because, it's not AutoCAD. :)

PS: As for the "10 minute titleblock" point... there was a time where you couldn't make a titleblock in 10 minutes with AutoCAD, because there was a time where you didn't know how and had to learn first, then getting faster through repetition. You're not quite there yet with Revit, so get there first before you compare apples to oranges.

;)

Lolt

Most of my revit skills can out due AutCAD. I draw structural steel columns and beams within seconds. Make a sheet with views and out I go. I just dont like the annotation stuff. I have used labels. I think autodesk should be more consistent. I have no problem with making great new applications like revit and inventor but just keep the simple stuff like annotation the same. I just think those parts of drawings should be monkey proof. I disagree with bringing autocad file into a sheet and being a problem. It has no effect on your drawing in your plans and views. At least what I have noticed. Sheets are kind of like paper space. I could put a raster of Donald trump in there and bring in viewports or views in revit as i would like.

I think autodesk should be more consistent. I have no problem with making great new applications like revit and inventor but just keep the simple stuff like annotation the same. I just think those parts of drawings should be monkey proof.
Autodesk is consistent. Both programs give you "dumb text". Revit has the additional power of populating information in lieu of a manually entered text box. It's only when you use Labels you begin to have "monkey proof".

I disagree with bringing autocad file into a sheet and being a problem. It has no effect on your drawing in your plans and views. At least what I have noticed. Sheets are kind of like paper space. I could put a raster of Donald trump in there and bring in viewports or views in revit as i would like.
It's not a problem per se, it's just that you aren't taking advantage of the tools that make your life easier and more efficient.

How much risk management insurance to you maintain? LOL.... j/k.

-TZ

I disagree with bringing autocad file into a sheet and being a problem. It has no effect on your drawing in your plans and views. At least what I have noticed.

It's what you don't see that can have an effect. AutoCAD has it's similar issues from inserting drawings that have been exported from other platforms. Yeah, it works but there is stuff that happens in the background that can get messy or even cause some major problems and the more you do it in a particular file, the more likely it is to cause a problem.

This is the kind of stuff I am talking about. I am messing around and trying to make a presentable title block in Revit. I try to create a label and the text (box) cant be close to a line or that part of the line where text is dissappears. I do not see anywhere to change this. I like my text to be nearly on the line or 1/16" off. This is Revit 2015.

Autodesk is consistent in one thing. Buying up startups and putting it under their umbrella.. the cube and the ribbon is about it i think
No kidding!! I think AutoCAD is the only program that is actually theirs. :)

cant get all labels to be visible. Seems pretty popular. Project number and time/date worked fine. Scale does not. Revision schedule works well too. This is what I have done. Created title block as a family. Put labels, texts, lines and revision schedule. Loaded to project. Made a new sheet and used my title block file. Drug a view into sheet. Some labels are there some not. All text, lines and schedule is there and work fine. What I have seen online is a shared parameters thing. I have looked all around manage tab and cannot solve the problem. The file is too big it say to attach. I will look around for a complete title block tutorial online i guess. :(

You have to create Shared Parameters instead of Family Parameters, then add the Shared Parameters to the project. Once you do, then you'll be able to utilize the Titleblock fully.

My drawing number and title work perfectly. The scale label parameter does not show up for some reason. It shows up as 1/8"=1' as sample which looks fine and is fine in family but when inserted everything else works minus that. Weird!