shx font files

cad_monkey

Hi, I've just received a dwg and a fonts folder full of SHX files, which are supposed to be fonts. I've found the location of the fonts directory for my installation of ACAD Civil 3D 2016 and copied the SHX files there and restarted AutoCAD.

After looking through the available fonts listed after restart, they still do not appear. What could be the issue do you think? Are all ACAD generated SHX files supposed to be swappable amongst different versions of AutoCAD - I would have thought that that was the point!?

Any thoughts on why they are not being listed?

Are you sure you placed the fonts in the correct folder? Yes, all SHX fonts should be recognized by the various flavors of AutoCAD.

Use the FINDFILE command to ascertain the correct folder. Here is an example of its use.

Command: (findfile"ufroman4.shx")

"C:\\program files\\autodesk\\autocad 2015\\fonts\\ufroman4.shx"

Are you sure they are font files and not shape files?

Can you attach a copy of one of these mystery font files to your next post. Just need one for test purposes. Thanks.

BT_STAT.zip

This is one of them and was in a fonts folder. I must admit, I don't know much about shape files as I rarely need to use them so I wouldn't be able to tell if they are actually fonts or not. Perhaps you will have better luck.

So how do I use this?

If you have already opened the drawing without getting a message about a missing shape file, then you are using it.

And how did you know it wasn't a font file?

If you create the .shp file and have a look, only one shape is defined, therefore it can't be a text file which needs the whole alphabet.

The file length is also a hint. :D

So how do I use this? And how did you know it wasn't a font file?

1. Use the LOAD command to load the shape file. Use the SHAPE command to insert a shape. Shapes are sort of like Blocks.

2. I did the steps in #1. If it were a font file, it would have failed when I tried using the LOAD command on it. Not only that, the file size is 273 bytes, much too small to be a font file.