Invisable Viewport

manderson

I have a drawing that I cannot see or select the viewport. I can't figure out how to make it visible and all of the settings in the layer manager are on/thawed. Any suggestions on how to make the viewport visible would be great. Thanks!

If you cannot see it and you cannot select it how do you know it is there?

We're talking about a paper space viewport right?

Could this invisible viewport be sitting behind your AutoCAD window?

Edited by ReMark

Yes, we are talking about a paper space viewport. When you double click in the area where the viewport should be it acts like a regular visible viewport but there is no outline of a viewport there. We can move the background around and if we move it out of the viewport area it disappears.

While in paperspace, cross the viewport frame with a right to left selection window. Open Properties. See if the viewport is one of the items in the dropdown list of selected items. If so, see what sort of unusual properties it has, like color, layer, clipped... Anything that looks out of the ordinary. It may provide some clues.

I can recreate the problem but haven't found a solution yet. If you draw a rectangle in paperspace and use the "mview" command with the option "object" pick the rectangle and then delete the original rectangle, the viewport remains but it is invisible, you can double click inside it to activate it but it remains otherwise elusive.

I can recreate the problem but haven't found a solution yet. If you draw a rectangle in paperspace and use the "mview" command with the option "object" pick the rectangle and then delete the original rectangle, the viewport remains but it is invisible, you can double click inside it to activate it but it remains otherwise elusive.

That is exactly what I suspected had happened, but I am incredibly busy, as I have been all week, glad you got here first! :beer:

Wouldn't hurt to try the OOPS command, in case it was the last thing deleted.

I have seen that before. If the OP does not verify a solution, I'll try fooling around with the clipped viewport a little while. I think we came up with a solution for that one.

This is usually attributed to the drawing coming from microstation \ Bentley product. Create a new layout and viewport and delete the old layout.

I have seen that before. If the OP does not verify a solution, I'll try fooling around with the clipped viewport a little while. I think we came up with a solution for that one.

I spent a couple minutes trying to recreate the problem using a rectangular object to convert to a viewport, but couldn't erase the rectangle, and leave the viewport.

Maybe you will have better luck with the CLIPPED viewport. Sounds like steven made it fail though. Was it an oval shape that I have seen do that before? I even tried using the CHANGE SPACE command on the defining rectangle, but couldn't wrangle it away from the respective viewport.

I spent a couple minutes trying to recreate the problem using a rectangular object to convert to a viewport, but couldn't erase the rectangle, and leave the viewport.

Maybe you will have better luck with the CLIPPED viewport. Sounds like steven made it fail though. Was it an oval shape that I have seen do that before? I even tried using the CHANGE SPACE command on the defining rectangle, but couldn't wrangle it away from the respective viewport.

I couldn't get the viewport to remain, either.

manderson:

Please attach a copy of the actual drawing file itself (not an image) to your next post so we can witness this anomaly ourselves then perhaps a solution will be forthcoming.

For those of you who can't see the issue, here is a layout with an invisible / unselectable viewport.

PS this may or maybe not be, the same issue as the OP has.

Yep, that is pretty odd. Thanks for posting that steven-g. :beer:

Yeah, thanks steven. The viewport is selectable in your example using Ctrl+A and it does show as being clipped in the properties. The grips do appear, though. I thought there might be a way to regenerate the boundary or delete the clipping. There isn't, but the viewport can be reclipped. Yielding a selectable viewport.