Subdividing height lines between two (poly)lines

Hey,

For a big height map that has height lines every 5m I would like to fake a more accurate map of one line per 1m. To do that manually it would take a crazy amount of time, so I was wondering if there is a way to do this quickly.

I made this very elaborate image to show my point. In orange/yellow being the automatically generated lines (in my actual CAD file there will be 4 lines)

Subdivide between polylines.jpg

I searched in the possibilities of array and divide, but haven't found this sort of in-between option yet.

Does anybody know how I could do this or if there is already a command or plugin for this?

Thanks!

We're talking about contours here are we not? Are the lines supposed to represent proposed contours or existing contours?

Yes the original lines are contour lines and for every 5m in height there are polylines in the CAD file I have. These lines are more or less realistic.

The file I want to create now is for a physical model, and in relation to the materials I have I want to create a CAD file with height lines every 1,25m. This means I will need 3 (not 4 as I previously stated) lines in between the official lines. This means these generated lines will be fake, but in this model that doesn't matter. It just matters that I don't have to draw every in-between line by hand.

I was wondering if this is possible.

Thanks for your response.

Since you are faking it then Lee Mac's custom lisp routine called Dynamic Offset might be the way to go. Read about it here...http://www.lee-mac.com/dynamicoffset.html

Since you are faking it then Lee Mac's custom lisp routine called Dynamic Offset might be the way to go. Read about it here...http://www.lee-mac.com/dynamicoffset.html

ReMark,

I tried the link what you send. Either I'm doing it wrong or it doesn't have the function I'm looking for. This is a very handy tool, but I can't find the option to make a subdivision between two lines.

This tool works with static offset values that are the same for the whole polyline, and I need a variable offset value as the distance can vary between the two lines I want subdivided.

I added another image to show what I mean, which might not have been clear enough in my previous post.

Subdivide between polylinesv2.jpg

If you are faking the contours then what difference does it make? Whether the distance between contours is the same or different it's all just a pretty picture and nothing more. Did you even look at the description of all the different options?

Because it is used for a physical model so it does matter a bit how it looks, and the spacing between two lines can vary from 50cm to a couple meters. So if I just choose a static offset it will look like the left part of this image:

Subdivide between polylinesv3.jpg

Ps: Maybe you misunderstand what I meant with contours, the two lines that I want to subdivide are not part of the same contour. Thats why I described them earlier as two polylines that just need to be subdivided.

Edited by TheDude
Epiphany

I know what contours are and I know how to interpolate them. I get that you however want to not only fake the contours you want to "automagically" vary the distance between them.

I may be WAY off base here but if those are contours, and you want contours between the two "polylines", why can't you just change the contour interval of the surface to represent the intermediate lines? You could use the "polylines" provided, create a surface (if need be), then adjust your contour interval. :huh:

Like squirltech if the plines have a z value it would be easy to create a surface model and then redo contours. If they are z=0 then if not too many you can change the z and create a surface model. Otherwise you will need to look for something like eldon posted and maybe modify it. Look at this bit (/ (distance pt p1) 2.) of Lee's code.