Dimensions with decimals

zoran_gr

Hello to all!

I'm wondering if it is possible to create a dimension style with decimals above main dimension number. So not to use 515.5 or 515,5 but to have 515^5

It could be useful if it is possible to create.

Thank you!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zoran_gr

• Dana W

• BIGAL

• eldon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why do you say that this 'could be useful'?

Myself I can't think of any place where you would want to do this.

To me, and anybody else who has ever learned mathematics that would say 515 to the power 5 and not 515.5

OK

Than it is not possible in AutoCAD. Sometimes something come into my mind and I want to do it, most of that things can be done in autoCAD.

nukecad, that is not what I wanted, 515 to the power 5 is ofcourse 515^5, with symbol ^ I wanted to say "up" like an arrow, and why I wanted to do it, becouse when you write it on hand, many time (here in EX YU) it is written like 515 and then up above main number "515" are decimals. So it is like 515,5 but ,5 is not in the same line.

I think that there is no need to be rude, thank you all, next time I will come with better question.

Have a nice day!

You mean something like this 515⁵. I don't think it is possible to create this within a dimstyle. Maybe someone could figure out a way using lisp, but I can't think of a method as standard.

PS it's called superscript and is often found in mathematical notation.

Bigal thanks to you to.. but I think that it is to complicated it should be all automaticly done.. maybe one day it will be possible to create a dimensions like that in autoCAD.

Just to explain where it can be useful, for example when I have columns which are 25, or 35 cm thick and I need to show axially dimensions than I have 12,5 or 17,5 and it is "big" - to wide number to place in between dimension lines. I know that there are many text styles but usually it cannot be placed between lines (it is not nice). So dimension with superscript 515⁵ would be nice solution.

You can alter mtext and use the control codes via a lisp to change the text, there was a post about changing colour of words I know I posted and so did Lee-mac will try to find.

Almost there

(defun C:textsuper ( /  obj str)
(setq obj (entget (car (entsel "Pick Mtext" )))) ; do a check for mtext
(setq str (cdr (assoc 1 obj)))
(setq ans (strcat "{\\fTimes New Roman|b0|i0|c0|p16;123\\H0.5x\\S45;}" )) ; this allows for a number in middle of text
(entmod (subst (cons 1 ans) (assoc 1 obj) obj))
(princ)
)

Edited by BIGAL

I think that it is to complicated it should be all automaticly done.. maybe one day it will be possible to create a dimensions like that in autoCAD.

Notating like that may be acceptable locally but is not globally. I don't think you can fault the software for not providing an option that is not mathematically proper and could be misinterpreted.

Bigal thanks to you to.. but I think that it is to complicated it should be all automaticly done.. maybe one day it will be possible to create a dimensions like that in autoCAD.

Just to explain where it can be useful, for example when I have columns which are 25, or 35 cm thick and I need to show axially dimensions than I have 12,5 or 17,5 and it is "big" - to wide number to place in between dimension lines. I know that there are many text styles but usually it cannot be placed between lines (it is not nice). So dimension with superscript 515⁵ would be nice solution.

Simply put, the superscript has an entirely different mathematical meaning. It is used exclusively for exponential representation, and it is not acceptable in industry to use it for the mere convenience of dimension fitting. The acceptable and expected practice is to place the dimension text either over or beside the dimension that is too small to contain the text. If decimal numbers will not fit in columns in a table, then the table needs to be modified. One cannot just change this any more than substituting ones own personal character for another one in the alphabet.

Notating like that may be acceptable locally but is not globally. I don't think you can fault the software for not providing an option that is not mathematically proper and could be misinterpreted.

I didn't mean to fault anyone, I just think that maybe it will be possible to do it, like now it si possible to write dimensions with prefix or sufix. I know that it is not mathematically proper, but if you see 12⁵ on dimension I belive that nobody will think that it is 248832 cm, you will know that it is 12,5 cm if you are looking at plan of the building.

Thank you for your opinion!

Simply put, the superscript has an entirely different mathematical meaning. It is used exclusively for exponential representation, and it is not acceptable in industry to use it for the mere convenience of dimension fitting. The acceptable and expected practice is to place the dimension text either over or beside the dimension that is too small to contain the text. If decimal numbers will not fit in columns in a table, then the table needs to be modified. One cannot just change this any more than substituting ones own personal character for another one in the alphabet.

OK if you are studyng math, then you don't use dimension texts like that, but if you are drawing something in civil engineering than you will know that 12⁵ is not 12^5 (248832) and you know that it is 12,5 cm. That's why I think that it is not same like a new letter in alphabet. Ofcourse I use to put text above or beside the dimension line.

Anyway thank you for your opinion.

Maybe you'll know but don't expect everyone else seeing the drawing will know what you meant. Engineering drawings should be concise, accurate and most of all UNAMBIGUOUS. Everyone seeing the drawing should come away with the same conclusion. In my opinion it is wrong and you are just too lazy to do it the right way.

if you see 12⁵ on dimension I belive that nobody will think that it is 248832 cm, you will know that it is 12,5 cm if you are looking at plan of the building.

I would know that it wasn't notated correctly. Would probably pass it off as a typo.

Mr. ReMark I'm not too lazy and I'm doing that right way for more than 15 years, there is really no need to be rood. My question was is that possible or not, end of the story.

Anything is possible but that doesn't mean it is 1) right or 2) an acceptable industry standard.

Sometimes a comment has to be pointed to get through.

I think many people in today's CAD drafting field have lost their way. These kinds of shortcuts would not have been tolerated in the past. They would be considered sloppy work habits.