Solid fills (override) and lineweight

Marco1979

Say i have a structural plan with conrete columns (cut-color A), walls (cut-color A, lineweight by category - walls) and masonry walls (lineweight by category-walls).

How can i set that (only) the concrete walls will be filled (with an override) with color C.

And the masonry will be drawn by lineweight D instead of by category.

Hope i didnt make a mess explaining myself :P

Filters!! :)

Type VG, go to Filters tab and create a new one. If you aren't familiar with Filters then it usually takes some time to get used to. They are extremely powerful. You use search criteria to "filter" out what you do or don't want to be visually altered. The power is in the way it filters things out, which is by search criteria, NOT by saved selections. This way it can be applied to many or all Views and you can rest assured the Views will populate correctly.

-TZ

I did it!! Many thanx!
Glad to hear. For the record, Filters and View Templates are probably the two most powerful features of controlling visibility in Revit. In my opinion these two things is what separates Revit from the rest of the pack. Learn to use them abundantly. This is a rabbit hole that goes very deep, but it's a good rabbit hole to go down.

-TZ

Yeah i noticed that its somewhat infinite the things you can set. Now i think of it, do you know how i could manage this problem (see pic).

The beam is behind the masonry, so we dont see the solid grey fill at the overlap (its a concrete beam above a door, viewed up). We would want to show the grey there....is that possibel by any chance?

door.jpg

Yes, just use an override instead. So, select the Wall and do an Element Override and turn the transparency to 100% to visually "see through" the wall, exposing the beam underneath.

oh sweeeeet, thats it, nice! is it possible to make that setting for all those elements in this view (instead of having them set seperatly like this)?

edit: just managed it, sorry for the quick reply. Again...filters is the way to go =)

Yes, instead of Override Element, select the wall and use the Override Category option instead:

yqbh6tk.png

Now, this will change all the walls. If this isn't desired, here's a tip: Select a wall, and type IC to Isolate Category. This will temporarily hide all other Categories. Now, you can Drag+Select, or Pick+Select the wall(s) you want without picking up any other Categories. Make your changes, then type HR to Rest Temporary Hide, and all is back to normal. This tip I use a ton within the Revit modeling environment. Think of it as Layer Isolate. Hope this helps.

-TZ