Erase all but selected; making geom in Viewport larger

DanTu

When I create a Viewport in Pspace, my model geom is just a speck. There may be an entity way out in mspace somewhere.

1) How do u recommend finding & eliminating the way-out entity in mspace?

2) I know how to re-size/scale the Viewport boundary, but how do u scale-up the entities in the vport?

Welcome to the Forum.

In model space, zoom to your area of work. Now type ERASE, ALL, R (Remove) and window what you want to KEEP. This will erase everything EXCEPT what you don't want erased. Doing this will eliminate any extraneous "pieces" of information.

You can scale the viewport around the objects you want to show in it without getting rid of the errant runaway objects in outer space, but lets cover one issue at a time.

Let's say, for the sake of complete information, that you don't yet know whether you want to erase the errant objects floating way way out there.

Go back to modelspace, then zoom extents, (Z, enter, E, enter).

Then zoom out just a little bit more using the wheel.

Type SELECT, hit enter, type ALL, hit enter.

Now there should be a grip lit up on your wayward object(s), way way out in the Asteroid Belt.

Before esc'ing the SELECT command, ZOOM, WINDOW, or zoom and pan using the wheel to the errant object(s). Zoom window will exit the escape command, so unless you can see your errant objects without the grip lit up, zoom wheel for a bit until you can see it without the grips lit. Zooming may take a little bit of spinning to get there. If the screen should refuse to zoom at any point you will have to esc from the select command to execute a regen. That will refresh the video card screen image so you can zoom again. After any possible regen, if you can still see the errant object, you can continue to zoom and pan to it without doing the Z,E & SEL, ALL again.

Once you are able to identify what the lost object(s) might be, hit esc to cancel the select, then either move, or erase the object(s). Now ZOOM, EXTENTS modelspace so you can see the other stuff.

Now to scale the viewport. First, go back to your layout tab of course. You will see that the view in the viewport has not changed, even after you did all that stuff in modelspace. New viewports default to Zoom, Extents, but they don't automatically change after that.

There are two ways (actually a couple more that we won't cover) to re-scale your viewport. You can either simply select the viewport frame, or double click inside the viewport somewhere to activate it. Either of these will (should) cause the current Viewport Scale to appear on the task bar. At this point, the viewport scale will be a decimal fraction representing the viewport scale as a percentage of 1:1 (FULL SIZE).

Do you have the viewport scale displayed on your taskbar at the bottom while your viewport is either selected or activated? If not, while the viewport is still active or selected, click on the button at the far right end of the taskbar, it has three horizontal bars on it. Click the button and then click on Viewport Scale, and Viewport Lock, if they are not already checked, then click once back where you were in paperspace.

Since you have to do some moving around inside your viewport we'll double click inside the viewport to activate it. You are now in modelspace through the viewport. Now, execute Zoom, Extents. If that does not present a satisfactory view, you will need to zoom/pan to sort of manually get the objects you want showing, to be more or less centered in the viewport. It is not critical to be all that accurate at this point. I use ZOOM, WINDOW (around desired objects) which automatically centers the picked window in the viewport.

Once you get the desired objects roughly lined up in the middle of the viewport, click the viewport scale on the taskbar. The default scale list of standard scales should appear. Pick the scale you need. Then, the viewport will zoom to the selected scale. Now that the viewport is scaled, DO NOT ZOOM inside of it. Immediately click the little padlock icon on the taskbar near the viewport scale to lock the viewport. The padlock will turn blue when locked. Now double click outside of the viewport in paperspace somewhere. Scaling is done when your view presents the information, either at the pre-designated scale per office standards, or large enough to see without running outside the viewport.

By the way, while on a paperspace tab, you can change from paperspace to modelspace inside the viewport by typing MS or PS rather than double clicking. Guess which one does which.:P

Don't ask me what scale you need. I can't tell you without knowing EVERYTHING about what you are drawing. You should have office standards to go by or at least a reference tutorial or drawing.

If you are on your own, just pick a scale off the list, then pick another one until it fits nicely in the viewport.

If there are objects surrounding what you want in the viewport, that show at the chosen scale, but you don't want them to show, simply re-size the viewport by moving its grips until all you see is what you want to see. You can re-size the viewport without unlocking it.

Edited by Dana W

Wow! Thank u very much, Dana, for giving such an extensive, thorough reply.

The Zoom, Extent; Select, All didn't work...... it only "gripped" the known geom - nothing way out there. Just a messed up file (not mine) I think.

But no problem due to your 2nd solution. The Zoom, Window inside the vport is just what I needed.

Thanks again.

DanTu

Wow! Thank u very much, Dana, for giving such an extensive, thorough reply.

The Zoom, Extent; Select, All didn't work...... it only "gripped" the known geom - nothing way out there. Just a messed up file (not mine) I think.

But no problem due to your 2nd solution. The Zoom, Window inside the vport is just what I needed.

Thanks again.

DanTu

The way way out geometry may be a very long radius, Dimension Center Point maybe in the thousands of meters, or something like that, that will not have its own grips. There are any number of things capable of doing this that you can't see. Glad there was something in there that helped. Edited by Dana W

The way way out geometry may be a very shallow Radius Dimension Center Point maybe in the thousands of meters, or something like that, that will not have its own grips. There are any number of things capable of doing this that you can't see. Glad there was something in there that helped.

Dana, you really went above and beyond in your initial response, well done.

Extremely comprehensive. :beer:

If I have flotsam on the virtual perimeter, I switch to an isometric view, and change the visualstyle to Conceptual, which sometimes lights up an errant entity.

Dana, you really went above and beyond in your initial response, well done.

Extremely comprehensive. :beer:

If I have flotsam on the virtual perimeter, I switch to an isometric view, and change the visualstyle to Conceptual, which sometimes lights up an errant entity.

Thanks, but I and the OP are both running LT, even though the Isometric view is available and can work for that at times, conceptual is not available.

Come to think of it, a whacked out Z value on the UFO would account for the grips not lighting up, and it being non-selectable in LT. If it's not the center of a long radius dimension, it may be part of a 3d object. The OP did say the drawing is not original to him/her, but from somewhere else. Just a week ago, I had to deal with a floor plan and about 20 elevations which were 2D generated views (not flattened) and still had about 15 meg of 3D solids and other assorted weirdness. It was like an iceberg. After changing the view to SW Isometric the floor plan looked like a mountain range on the Klingon home world.

For the record, parts of 3D objects that have a zero "Y" value and make a polygon or line on the x/y plane are selectable in LT.

Edited by Dana W

Dana very elaborate worth keeping, maybe a help, once you get the two dots use Zoom C use snap Near and say 100 this will force a close zoom around the object.

That's a good idea I would have never thought of. Thanks.