Performing Sketch on an Extrusion

Dhatsah

Hello

I am designing an engagement ring for my soon to be fiancée - I've no real expertise in Inventor (Programmer by trade); However I have managed to thus far to fiddle around with the trial version and draw the basics of the ring, however I am wanting to add some detail and I cannot work out how on earth to do it, so I am hoping someone can help.

http://i.imgur.com/QviMutN.png

There above is an image of what I have presently - I wanted to put it into the thread but apparently I cannot use spoilers or image size attributes so it would of been too big really for a forum.

I want to be able to effectively cut a groove in detail A - however I cannot seem to find a way for inventor to let me sketch onto the extrusion.

I then want to add text to the inner band at detail B - the same problem as above occurs.

I suppose I could solve the first problem by creating the band in 3 separate parts and assemble them together, but I figure a program as powerful as inventor should probably have a way of doing it. Any pointers or all out this is how you do it would be appreciated.