What other CAD programs can save a .DXF/.DWG that AutoCAD 2015 LT can open?

Zach571

I work at a small company and I am the CAD department. We are moving in a direction that we are receiving drawings from outside our company and I am curious as to which other main stream CAD programs out there save to a format that AutoCAD 2015 LT will not only allow viewing but also editing?? I have never used anything other than AutoCAD.

I searched here and google unsuccessfully for an answer to this. Any input and links to the answer are appreciated.

Thanks,

Zach571

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Zach571

• RobDraw

• halam

There are many. Bricscad and Draftsight are two I can think of right off the bat.

If you searched here you should have found a thread I started about alternatives to AutoCAD.

First link...http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?77635-Free-CAD-programs-for-the-non-student.&highlight=alternative+autocad

Second link...http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?77642-Low-cost-CAD-programs

Seek and ye shall find grasshopper.

I'm looking for a list of all the commonly used drafting programs and what programs each one is compatible with. I receive files from other companies that are using top of the line programs, not cheap alternatives.

Thanks,

Zach571

Only trying to help.

Just because a CAD program retails for less than what AutoDesk charges does not, in and of itself, make it cheap. Bricscad is a highly recommended alternative to AutoCAD and it comes in Classic, Pro and Platinum editions. Maybe you should check it out (as in look at the features each version has to offer) before dismissing it, or any other alternative listed in both links, out of hand.

Here is a link to the Bricscad website to start with....https://www.bricsys.com/en_INTL/bricscad/comparison/

Don't say I didn't go the extra mile.

Considering the widespread use of AutoCAD, I'd be willing to hazard a guess that just about all of the "top of the line" ones are capable of exporting to a format that is readable and editable by LT, fully compatible is another story.

Just because the other platforms are capable, doesn't mean that any given user is going to know how to accomplish a proper export.

ReMark, you went the extra mile in the wrong direction, not even close to what I am looking for, even after I provided a more detailed explanation...

I've never heard of Bentley before...I know there are many out there that I am not familiar with. If I had a list of these commonly used cad programs I could do that.

I'm guessing a list of all the drafting programs available and their ability to share files is non existant.

Zach571

I think you are looking in the wrong direction. This is mainly an AutoCAD forum.

There is a lot of good information this thread. It does not fit the context of your question, because your question is a bit ambiguous.

Why don't you make a list of the "top of the line" programs that will be generating the files you will be receiving and maybe someone can tell you the ins and outs of compatibility with AutoCAD.

Why don't you make a list of the "top of the line" programs that will be generating the files you will be receiving and maybe someone can tell you the ins and outs of compatibility with AutoCAD.

I think this would be a much better approach.

As mentioned already the "Open Design Alliance" means hundreds of companies can read & write Autocad dwg and dxf, you will struggle to find all these under the heading of CAD programs, search Adobe as an example.

Zach just a suggestion have a bit of a search about importing Microstation dgn.

This train is moving fast. Less talk more action than any endlesss ifc discussion on bim.

Any lately relevant dwg developments for adsk?

What is that you're saying?

ReMark, you went the extra mile in the wrong direction, not even close to what I am looking for, even after I provided a more detailed explanation...

I've never heard of Bentley before...I know there are many out there that I am not familiar with. If I had a list of these commonly used cad programs I could do that.

I'm guessing a list of all the drafting programs available and their ability to share files is non existant.

Zach571

Bentley's Microstation DGN format is required for working with the Department of Transportation of almost all US states which puts it on your "commonly used drafting programs" list. Microstation DGN files can be converted to DWG files, but it's complicated and I've never received one that was converted correctly. They installed IntelliCAD 7.2 on my PC which I hadn't seen listed here, but I've had need of a second CAD software package.

I'd avoid Microstation if you want DXF/DWG compatibility and take a closer look at ReMark's offerings.

http://gfxspeak.com/2015/09/08/technology-innovation-alliance/

This train is moving fast. Less talk more action than any endlesss ifc discussion on bim.

Any lately relevant dwg developments for adsk?

What on earth does adsk stand for? Is that AutoDesk? This is a technically oriented forum. You should not make up your own acronyms, nor resort to obtuse metaphors. This does nothing to make your request more understandable.

If you continually insist on vaguely adding small tidbits to the list of your end needs, and pushing people's buttons by being sarcastically responsive to EVERY single guess at what you might be trying to ask, we may actually begin to get somewhere.

Case in point, we have yet to even see you clearly explain whether this list of dwg format capable software you refer to is to be possibly used by you, or by the outside companies sending you drawings.

To get back to your original question, fully 80% of all current CAD software purports to support the dwg format, and in every case, the resulting files are in some way, less than satisfactory.

Your retort about low cost alternatives is moot since pretty much every dwg format software out there is a low cost alternative to AutoDesk products.

EDIT: Having considered further that you resorted to sarcastically indignant replies so soon in the thread, I am going to write you off as a troll, and move on.

If we're talking high-end CAD programs then in addition to MicroStation one would have to add Solidworks and maybe Catia (depending on one's needs), PTC Creo, and maybe IntelliCAD. Then there are the specialized programs like XSteel and Chief Architect for example. It would all depend on what field you're in.

If I had a list of all the commonly used CAD programs I wouldn't have asked my question. The majority of the programs listed I have never heard of, makes it hard for me to search for programs I do not even know the names of. Seems a list of CAD programs that export to .DWG and .DXF does not exist, which is all that I was looking for. I receive pdf drawings and when requesting a .DXF/.DWG I often get an "I don't know what that is?". It would save me time if I could paste a list and state "If you are using one of these programs, you can save the file as a .DWG/.DXF." Since they often seem either lazy or lack the knowledge of the program they are using.

Seems retarded to me in this day and age to be creating a CAD drawing off of a PDF so often. I work for a small manufacturing company that needs pre heat treat prints for everything.

Zach571