Windows 10 and Template File

tennis4you

I upgraded to Windows 10 and really the only program struggling with it thus far is AutoCAD. I am running 2015 LT.

AutoCAD is struggling to find the Template File. If I try to open an existing file I get an error stating that the .dwt is not a valid drawing file. Any new drawings made get some generic template file used.

If I just open AutoCAD without opening an existing file AutoCAD has no issues finding the template file and all runs normal.

Anyone else have this issue?

Looks like AutoCAD defaulted back to an older workspace with the most recent ones being removed. I am work around that though.

Thank you,

That's a thought, but it seems to work fine when just opening LT without opening an existing file. Then I can hit the "new" button and the new file created is perfect.

What have you done to troubleshoot the problem thus far? I don't see this as AutoCAD struggling to find the template file since we are talking about an existing drawing that utilized a custom template. What is the exact wording of the entire error message?

I have checked the settings to make sure I am pointing to the right location, that's about all I can do that I know of.

Upon opening an existing file I get the following error: **S:\autocad\template files\sba template.dwt is not a valid drawing file.

Once I click "OK" it opens the existing file. But trying to create a new file while in that session will just create a file with a different template file.

OK guys, this one is on me.

So when I opened an AutoCAD file for the very first time after the Windows upgrade I must have chosen the wrong LT icon (for some reason I had 2 icons). Not sure why I would have 2, but I bet one was old.

To expand on what Rob mentioned above, there are 2 template paths for ACAD. One path is used for the template when beginning a session, another is used by the QNEW command (or File>New). You can also specify a template using a switch in the shortcut itself.