Electrical
    Emmettjg's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Electrical Engineer
    Discipline
    Electrical
    Using
    AutoCAD 2016

Default New at this, ACAD 2016 student version-- Trying to create a 2 D drawing.

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

I have created a 2D drawing in layout 1 page.
    I am trying to add dimensions but they are really small.
    I built the drawing that I want, but when I went to plot it, it is Very tiny, in a huge grid. (I suspect this explains the small dimensions.)
    Anyway, I don't see a way to delete all the excess area around my drawing, to allow the preview to size up the image of the created part.
    Anyone have any suggestions?

Using
    Electrical 2008

can you post the dwg as an attachment here? it would make it a lot easier to see what is needed.
    where did my sig go?

Forum Newbie
    Computer Details
    Emmettjg's Computer Details
    Computer:
    Win 10
    Motherboard:
    Sony viao
    CPU:
    Pentium
    RAM:
    4GB
    Graphics:
    UNKn
    Discipline
    Electrical
    Emmettjg's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Electrical Engineer
    Discipline
    Electrical
    Using
    AutoCAD 2016

Default New at this, ACAD 2016 student version-- Trying to create a 2 D drawing.

I had started the drawing in Layout mode, because I had read on line that that is what I need to do to create a 2D drawing.
    I did not apply a Sheet size, as I figured I could force it to a one page 8-1/2" x 11". Well, the drawing is huge, and the area of the drawing that I need is quite small. I will attach it here:
    I want to be able to print (plot) this on a single piece of paper, and hopefully dimension some of the items on the page. So far all annotation is enormous.
    Thanks for your interest in helping.
    Emmett
    Attached Files

Computer Details
    Dana W's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 8 64 bit
    Computer:
    Dell XPS ONE 2710
    Motherboard:
    Dunno
    CPU:
    Intel I-5 3330S @ 2.7 Ghz
    RAM:
    6 Gb
    Graphics:
    On board barely adequate
    Primary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte
    Secondary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte external
    Monitor:
    All in one 27" touch & pen
    Discipline
    Construction
    Dana W's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Architectural Millwork Designer/Draftsman
    Discipline
    Construction
    Details
    Custom commercial millwork.
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Emmettjg View Post
    I have created a 2D drawing in layout 1 page.
    I am trying to add dimensions but they are really small.
    I built the drawing that I want, but when I went to plot it, it is Very tiny, in a huge grid. (I suspect this explains the small dimensions.)
    Anyway, I don't see a way to delete all the excess area around my drawing, to allow the preview to size up the image of the created part.
    Anyone have any suggestions?
    EDIT: Just in case you read this earlier, I wrote an entirely different post before looking at your drawing. I see you did draw in modelspace. Which makes me even more puzzled about what "Layout Mode" means. Still, even though I was off as to what tab you had started on, check out the tutorials page anyway. I made major changes to what I wrote after I looked at the drawing.

AutoCad is NOT one of the types of software a person can simply pick up and start much of anything without a bit of guidance. Start here >>> AT THIS LINK. It's one of the FREE tutorials here on the forum. It's for 2014, but not different enough from 2015/16 to matter at this point.

The dimensions are so small, because you are using a dimension style with a text height of 1". Since you are drawing in modelspace at full size, 1" is pretty tiny for dimension text. Use a Text style in your dimensions SPECIFICALLY dedicated for that single use. Set the text height in the text style editor at 0" (zero inches). This will let the dimension style override the text style height. That way, you can use the same text style in ALL of your dimension styles, no matter how tall you want the text to be in any of them without having to go back and mess with another, or original text style intended for dimensions. Unless you are going to be using ANNOTATIVE DIMENSIONS, Or intending to put all your dimensions in paperspace, you will need a different dimension style for every scale you print your drawings in.

I noticed your dimensions are not Annotative, but you have an annotative text style set current. I suggest staying away from annotative anything for now. The learning curve is steep enough without adding all that to it.

Your text notes are way big because you are using an ANNOTATIVE text style with a text height of 8". Annotative means that the text height will always be the same height in any scaled viewport in paperspace. 8" is kinda large for paperspace, 1/8" or 3/16" are good sizes for paperspace text and dimension text.

Your modelspace annotative scale is set to 1:5 which will make the text appear even 5 times larger than they really are in modelspace, or 40" tall rather than 8" tall. This happens in modelspace if the annotative scale is not set to 1:1, with annotative dimensions, because the program is showing you the relationship between your model geometry and the annotative text as it will appear in a paperspace viewport at that scale. This feature is convenient in helping you to keep notes and dimensions spaced far enough away from your model geometry so they look good and are easily read IN PAPERSPACE, after you set up your scaled viewport in the page set-up/layout manager.

You change your annotative view scale using the tool at the bottom of the screen on the task bar. Click the arrow next to the scale displayed and change it to 1:1. Leave the modelspace view scale set to 1:1, UNLESS you are intending to use annotative text and dimensions, which is not recommended at this point, but is learnable along with the rest if you wish. Then, change it to what you intend your final viewport scale to be to place the annotative notes and dims in the clear, in a neat manner. If your annotative items do not change "apparent" size in modelspace when you adjust the annotative scale tool, then that means the scale you changed the view to, has not yet been assigned to those items. Aw cheeeze, this is getting too deep. Just save annotative scaled items until later. They need to be concentrated on all by themselves.

The scale 1:5 in a paperspace viewport, assuming your modelspace and paperspace units are both set to inches, means that ONE paperspace unit equals FIVE modelspace units. Therefore, your modelspace geometry will be 5 times smaller on paper than it is in real life. Now, the annotative text style used is another whole animal. These will NOT scale in the viewport. The annotative 8" text height will be 8" tall in paperspace no matter what the scale is. That is why it needs to be a LOT smaller from the gitgo.

A house and lot ain't gonna fit on a 8.5x11 paper at 1:5. Since you are drawing in inches, use one of the imperial scales. The largest imperial scale that fits (portrait) without running over 8.5x11 is 1/32" = 1'-0". This means your NON-annotative dimension text needs to be 48" tall in modelspace, in order to be 1/8" tall on paper.

Did you make the Standard text style Annotative? You should not modify the Standard text and dimension styles that come with AutoCad for now. You may need the original versions as a fall back to create new styles from. Luckily, they are stored in each drawing, so they still will exist in the next new drawing you create, unless you copy this drawing (Save As...) to a new drawing.

By the way, your drawing itself looks pretty good, even though everything is on one layer. I take it, this drawing is for the septic system?

There's good reasons why AutoCad 101 classes are at least a semester long, ain't there? See, all of what I wrote is way too confusing, even for me to try and proofread. Just do the tutorials, go to class, and get it into your head step by step.
    Last edited by Dana W; 16th Sep 2015 at 03:03 am.
    The S197 gen Ford Mustang, and the F-4 Phantom both prove the same theory. "With enough power applied, a school bus will fly."

Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro K4200, 4GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Dell P24LLH - 24" wide screen LCD
    Discipline
    See details...
    ReMark's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    CAD Draftsman/Designer...chemical manufacturing.
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Typically geometry is drawn in model space. Title blocks and borders go in paper space layouts. Text and dimensions can be placed in either. If you are going to place them in model space then the best approach is to use annotative scaling. This takes some practice. On the other hand if you elect to place them in your layout the only thing you have to be aware of is that your dimensions need to be associative which is NOT the same as annotative.

You do not "force" architectural drawings to fit a piece of paper; they should be done to some sort of scale. Common architectural scales for houses/commercial buildings are 1/8"=1'-0" and 1/4"=1'-0". The same goes for civil engineering drawings (ex. - septic system). These would typically be done at such scales as 1"=40' or 1"=50'. Based on a quick test you could use a scale of 1"=40' and the house will fit comfortably on a 8.5x11 in portrait orientation with a title block and border. A scale of 1"=50' will be too big. The largest scale you can use is 1"=30' which isn't all that common but at least it can be found on an engineer's scale.

Questions:
    -Are you doing this for your own use or for a friend?
    -Is this for an existing house?
    -Is the house on city water or well water? If it is on well water where is the well located?
    -Are you following city/town regulations regarding placement of the septic field relative to property lines?
    -Have you spoken with the town sanitarian?
    -How did you determine the size of the septic field?
    -Did you have a percolation test done?

You would benefit immensely by taking a look at the tutorials here at CADTutor and another website called mycadsite.com.

By the way you have one duplicate line and twelve overlapping lines in your drawing as well as a zero-length geometric object and three database errors.
    Last edited by ReMark; 16th Sep 2015 at 01:15 pm.
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

Eat brains...gain more knowledge!

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    CPU:
    RAM:
    Graphics:
    Primary Storage:
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    See details...
    Occupation
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

The property as drawn at a scale of 1"=30' and 1"=40' for comparison purposes. The magenta colored line is a viewport and not a border. The viewport is created in the layout and acts as a window allowing us to see the geometry created back in model space. The text is both cases was placed in the layout and is 1/4" in height. The paper is 8.5x11 in portrait orientation. If you have any questions just ask.

Sullivan30.jpg

Sullivan40.jpg
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    CPU:
    RAM:
    Graphics:
    Primary Storage:
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    See details...
    Occupation
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

A portion of the 30 scale version with a few dimensions thrown in for good measure (no pun intended) and the property line denoted using a different linetype. All dimensions were done in the layout using a text height of 3/23" (0.09375). 1/8" size text would have been too large in my opinion. Oh, and I changed the font from the default of Arial to something easier to read called RomanS. Arial is a TrueType font while RomanS is a standard AutoCAD .SHX font. I also changed a number of the Dimension Style defaults to make the dimensions look better.

SullivanDim.jpg

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    CPU:
    RAM:
    Graphics:
    Primary Storage:
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    See details...
    Occupation
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Last one. I added a quickly thrown together title block, border and north arrow to give it a somewhat finished look. With the addition of any information the town specifically requires this could be submitted to the building department, town sanitarian, and/or planning and zoning.

SullivanTB&B.jpg

Computer Details
    Ski_Me's Computer Details
    Computer:
    DELL (why oh lord must I suffer)
    Discipline
    Electrical
    Ski_Me's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Fire Alarm tech
    Discipline
    Electrical
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Quote Originally Posted by ReMark View Post
    Last one. I added a quickly thrown together title block, border and north arrow to give it a somewhat finished look. With the addition of any information the town specifically requires this could be submitted to the building department, town sanitarian, and/or planning and zoning.

Attachment 55545
    That looks pretty good ReMark. You should save that (except for the geometry) as a template and send it to the OP so he could use it for other projects.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    CPU:
    RAM:
    Graphics:
    Primary Storage:
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    See details...
    Occupation
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Not sure but this could be a "one off" the OP is doing for himself, his family or a friend in which case saving it as a template won't benefit him in the long run. Anyways, it is simple enough to be reproduced quickly and he could use the practice.