AutoCAD 2016 keeps unchecking my snap settings

clarice

My AutoCAD 2016 keeps unchecking (not turning off) all snap points by itself while i'm working. Not sure if it's a bug or if I keep hitting a key by mistake that does that. It's not a bi deal, but it's really annoying. Does anyone know how to make it stop?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dana W

• BradleyFl

• RobDraw

• clarice

• 1 month later...

I do not run any lisp routines and it is also happening to me. AutoCAD LT 2016. It never happened to any version before but I did skip 2015 because I was in the middle of a large project and didn't have time to deal with a new version. It has dumped my snap setting in only 1 condition so far, and not every time. When running Hatch to fill an object once in every 10 times I will notice the snaps have been cleared and turned off. If it just turned them off it would be a non issue, but it does clear them as well. I have resorted to a screen shot of what snaps I want turned on and leave it on my desktop. When it clears them I can reset them without thinking about what ones I want turned on.

Searching the internet I have found this issue also existed in 2015, but since I skipped that one I didn't noticed until now. I want to blame it on a windows or video card update because I've been running 2016 for many months and this just started happening in the last 2 weeks.

I'm hoping Autodesk will figure this out and issue an update to stop this from happening.

I have only heard of this happening with poorly written LISP or the user exiting certain commands with escape before the command is finished.

Can you please reference where you found this to be a "bug"?

Not saying it is a bug in AutoCAD. I used 2016 for several months before this started happening. It took me completely by surprise when it did it. Many Windows and Video card updates were applied between when I started using 2016 and when this started happening. I just Googled snaps being cleared in AutoCAD and got several responses about 2015 and 2016, with no answers.

Now you make a good point about the escape command. Many times I find I have selected incorrect items and use the escape key to "start over". My hands and fingers don't exactly do what I tell them to do any more. This gives me a direction to look. Is it doing it when I hit escape in the middle of the hatch command?

To be honest none of the posts I found stated what they were doing just before they noticed their snaps were cleared. With my IT background, what you were doing when it happened is of upmost importance. I can not recreate it every time. It only happens once in every 10 times, or there about. But it is always when I'm using the hatch command. I will now watch very closely if it is me hitting the escape key in the middle of picking an area to hatch, or me using the go back arrow to undo something I hatched that I didn't intend to. Like I said, my fingers and hands don't always listen to me :)

I will watch this closely and report back what I am doing when it happens. Is it the hatch, the go back, or the escape that is causing it. My work around is just a screen shot to put them back. It only takes a few seconds to return them to normal so I have no good reason to go back to 2014 yet. And since this just started, 2014 may also be effected if it is a windows or video card update.

In the Autodesk forums for AutoCAD this issue is brought up. But its all finder pointing and off subject.

UPDATE!

I have been able to recreate this every time. When running the hatch command, select Pick Points, the snaps will turn off. Select the item to hatch and go through with the hatch. The snaps come back on and all is well. Using the escape key changes nothing and the snaps return. However, if you finish the hatch, and then hit the Back arrow, the hatch will be removed, as it should be, and the snap setting will be cleared and turned off. I have tested this 10 times and it happened every time. Using the go forward button will return the hatch and the snap settings.

So the bug is in the back button. Using it after completing an unwanted hatch, using the Pick Points selection, will clear the snaps and turn them off.

Work around is as easy as using erase to remove the unwanted hatch.

Interested if anyone else can duplicate this. I'm running 2016 LT.

Do you mean the "undo" and "redo" buttons when you say back and forward?

I cannot recreate this on my 2016 (full version).

I used to have this happen after UNDO with an old LISP. The author was able to fix it for me.

Yes, "undo" and "redo".

And I use them all the time, hand/finger issues.

This just started happening about a week ago. Up until then everything worked normally. So even though this is turning up as a bug in AutoCAD it is more likely a Windows or Video card issue. Autodesk hasn't gotten enough reports about it to look into it.

I do not get enough work to warrant a full version, and what I get will never require it.

I could reinstall and see what happens, but I know why and when it's doing it now so I can avoid the issue. Unless the issue gets worse I'll use my work around.

Knowing what button "not" to press will help.

System is.

ASUS i7 12 Gigs ram.

4 TB HD space.

Windows 8.1, fully updated.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 Video card, fully updated.

AutoCAD LT 2016 fully updated.

I just tested my 2015 LT. Undo > Hatch Absolutely does turn off all my snaps as well, which it should, but only for Pick Internal Point, not Select Object.

However, The snaps only stay off, if I hit Undo before hitting either esc or right-click. If I either right-click or esc out of the hatch command, the snaps come back on.

Right click has always been "Accept and end Command" for a hatch. Left Click is for continuing to hatch other spaces or objects.

Apparently there is either an inadequate error trap, or none at all in the hatch command, for hitting the Undo button while the command is active.

I don't think one should ever hit the Undo button with an active command going on.

It's not a work-around, Left Click is keep hatching, Right Click is stop hatching.

Edited by Dana W

According to AutoCAD Application Manager I am fully up to date. I had it check today and it says everything is up to date.

I would like to know if there is a better way to update the software.

Maybe I'll log in to my account and see if they have any updates they haven't pushed out yet.

Wait, this is why I was never a software tester during my 25 years as a programmer. I just did some more testing. The Left, and Right click options do work, however the command line does not mention them. In their absence is Select objects Undo seTtings. It used to tell you to Right-click to accept, etc., etc.

I just went back to my 2009 version to test this. The hatch "Preview" asks for Right click (to accept) , Right leaves the hatch in place and ends the command. So the old code is still there in the new versions.

Ok, so my application manager says I'm completely up to date. Yet I find on Autodesk's site an SP1 for my version. Installed and retested. Exact same behavior as before.

So I tested ending the hatch command before hitting the undo button. Made sure I was clear out of the hatch command, escape several times, paned around the drawing, escaped again. Then undo button until the hatch goes away. As soon as the hatch goes away, so do my snap settings. This was all done after I installed SP1.

So there is still an issue even if your completely out of the hatch command.

Like I said before. I skipped 2015, went from 2014 to 2016. I can say that 2014 never did this, but not sure I would give up what 2016 has added just to fix the snap settings quirk.

Ok, so my application manager says I'm completely up to date. Yet I find on Autodesk's site an SP1 for my version. Installed and retested. Exact same behavior as before.

So I tested ending the hatch command before hitting the undo button. Made sure I was clear out of the hatch command, escape several times, paned around the drawing, escaped again. Then undo button until the hatch goes away. As soon as the hatch goes away, so do my snap settings. This was all done after I installed SP1.

So there is still an issue even if your completely out of the hatch command.

Like I said before. I skipped 2015, went from 2014 to 2016. I can say that 2014 never did this, but not sure I would give up what 2016 has added just to fix the snap settings quirk.

That doesn't happen to me in 2015. As soon as I hit either esc or right click, the snaps come back on. It is only when I hit Undo while Hatch is active that the snaps stay off.

Tell you the truth, I never even noticed before today, that the snaps go off while hatching a pick point. I guess it's because I never made the Undo button a habit, except when I hit Erase instead of Move on the right click menu. That's the one drawback to menu commands, one line off and something goes POOF.

This is not operator error in either version. It is cloogie programming. Yeah, not worth giving up on the program for.

Thanks for the update! I didn't realize it's happennig while using the hatch command (even if most of my problems with AutoCAD have something to do with it). I tested it on different PCs here at the office and it happened everytime.