3D Modelling - How to remove imprinted objects?

Stevin

Hi guys.

I'm kinda stuck, new to 3D modelling. Just busy with a relatively simple model to get into it.

What I did was imported a 2D logo, extruded it, then set it in place on the model and subtracted it. The subtracted portion is indented and of course a single 3D Solid.

I'm stratching my head on how to remove this now?

I've searched everywhere, but I figure I must be using the incorrect search terms.

I have also attached the .dwg

SD9 2 shoe & rear extension no history.dwg

I'm surprised you got no responses. Maybe it was such a nice day everyone went to the beach or for a motorcycle ride. Unfortunately I am not on my CAD computer yet and won't be for another few hours. I'll check back then and if there are still no responses I'll give your model a look.

Have you tried just reconstructing the front end only (without logo) then doing a union?

Edited by ReMark

ReMark, that's actually a really good tip. Using the Interfere command would definitely do it. But the O.P.'s request isn't possible, as in to "undo" after a solid has been altered. There is, of course, the History function that can be turned on, though. That may be what the O.P. is asking for, however this function seems very volatile with the program's stability, among other things.

That looks fantastic!

So do I understand correctly all you did was recreate the logo (and text in the 2nd picture) and of course Union it to the solid at the same height as the "front" face?

To be honest I didn't even give that a thought. I was thinking how to remove the logo not how to basically fill the logo. Thanks a!

So ingenue rail with 3D solids is it easier to just fill a space with a new solid than to try and remove it, assuming what needs to be removed is indented/recessed. (Sure I'm using the incorrect term)

If only it were that easy. Remember your text is not just on the flat (inclined) face but wraps the curved sides as well. And keep in mind that because the inclined face tapers back towards the top edge the depth of the logo/text will not be consistent.

In 3D models that are not as complex as yours there are a couple of other tricks to removing unwanted geometry. One of those would be the Move Faces command. Works great on holes. Delete Faces is another option but the end result may not be to your liking.

Edited by ReMark

If only it were that easy. Remember your text is not just on the flat (inclined) face but wraps the curved sides as well. And keep in mind that because the inclined face tapers back towards the top edge the depth of the logo/text will not be consistent.

In 3D models that are not as complex as yours there are a couple of other tricks to removing unwanted geometry. One of those would be the Move Faces command. Works great on holes.

Wow, sorry about the terrible typos in my previous post. My iPhone and I don't see eye to eye.

With my model, I used a flat logo and recessed it in relation to the front face. So in this case it should work, but I do understand that if I had curved the parts of the logo to match the contour of the model it wouldn't be as dry cut.

Some portion of the text does extend into the curved sides.

I went back and took another look at your 3D model and specifically the logo (not talking the text here). While it may appear to be cut into the face of the shoe a consistent depth I don't think that is the case. After resetting my UCS to match the angle of the inclined face and taking four random measurements I got readings of 1.7599, 1.7811, 1.8122, and 1.8195. So, filling in the logo with one of the same depth might not give you perfect results. Follow me?

Edited by ReMark

• 2 weeks later...