+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Newbie
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2012

Default Lingering xref linetypes

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

ACAD LT 2012

I have a problem where I somehow got a ton of xref line types in my template drawing. I must have inserted an object from another drawing into it that carried them. I don't have anything xrefed to the drawing.

I've tried to delete them, but I get the message that I can't delete anything currently being used or in an xref.

I've also tried copying with base point into another drawing. I went as far as copying individual items into a new drawing with the result being that the xref line types come into the other drawing.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Yport

Using
    MEP 2017

If you can post the file, that would help a lot. Much more information is needed.

Best guess on limited info is that the linetypes are assigned to layers and/or objects. Maybe, embedded in a block.
    Drafting is a breeze.

Forum Newbie
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2012

It gets weirder. I copied a small closed polyline (copy with base point) and pasted it into the acadlt.dwt template that was 67 kb. It blew the file up to 5,518 kb. There are no blocks, just a closed polyline. It brought all the xref line types over with it. That was too big to attach.

I have attached a screen shot of the drawing, layer dialog box, and the open line type selection box. There are over 200 xref line types that are showing up.

I don't understand why they come over with a simple cut and paste of a single polyline from one drawing to another.

The problem is that I have a different drawing template with my title blocks, layouts, dimension styles, text styles, plot set ups, and many blocks that I want built into every drawing. It took a long time to put it together and I don't want to start from scratch.

I'm also concerned that anything that I send to other professionals will pollute their drawings. It is pretty clear to me that it came to me that way as I don't do xrefs.

Thank you for responding.
    Attached Images

Using
    MEP 2017

Quote Originally Posted by yport View Post
    It gets weirder. I copied a small closed polyline (copy with base point) and pasted it into the acadlt.dwt template that was 67 kb. It blew the file up to 5,518 kb. There are no blocks, just a closed polyline. It brought all the xref line types over with it. That was too big to attach.

I have attached a screen shot of the drawing, layer dialog box, and the open line type selection box. There are over 200 xref line types that are showing up.

I don't understand why they come over with a simple cut and paste of a single polyline from one drawing to another.
    This is not unheard of. Have you tried purging and auditing before the copy and paste?
    Drafting is a breeze.

Forum Newbie
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2012

I have audited and purged. It won't let me delete or purge the linetypes.

I just learned that these are not xref dependent linetypes (I filtered them and they did not show up as xref dependent). It seems that the drawings think these line types exist on these layers that don't appear anywhere to exist. Maybe these are layers from a non-autocad drawing ..... I'm very stumped.

Using
    MEP 2017

They could have been in an XREF that was bound to the drawing at one point. What that does is basically insert the XREF as a block and depending on how it is done, it keeps the XREF designation on all the layer, blocks, and linetypes.

Have you tried WBlocking instead of copy/paste?

For more direct help, the file is needed. Could you post it to Drop Box?
    Drafting is a breeze.

Forum Newbie
    Using
    Civil 3D 2014

Has anyone figured out how to solve this. I am in the process creating a new template for our office and this same thing happened to me as well. I have purged/audited/wblocked my drawing and nothing. I searched through all blocks and found nothing in relation to the rouge linetypes. It is literally spreading through all of our drawings.

Computer Details
    Dana W's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 8 64 bit
    Computer:
    Dell XPS ONE 2710
    Motherboard:
    Dunno
    CPU:
    Intel I-5 3330S @ 2.7 Ghz
    RAM:
    6 Gb
    Graphics:
    On board barely adequate
    Primary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte
    Secondary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte external
    Monitor:
    All in one 27" touch & pen
    Discipline
    Construction
    Dana W's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Architectural Millwork Designer/Draftsman
    Discipline
    Construction
    Details
    Custom commercial millwork.
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2018

Quote Originally Posted by RHILEMAN View Post
    Has anyone figured out how to solve this. I am in the process creating a new template for our office and this same thing happened to me as well. I have purged/audited/wblocked my drawing and nothing. I searched through all blocks and found nothing in relation to the rouge linetypes. It is literally spreading through all of our drawings.
    Search the forum for getting rid of DGN linetypes from microstation.
    The S197 gen Ford Mustang, and the F-4 Phantom both prove the same theory. "With enough power applied, a school bus will fly."

Using
    MEP 2017

There are a number of possible solutions but as stated before, having the file takes out the guess work.

The linetypes are coming from something in your drawing. You need to figure out where. A process for figuring that out would involve starting with a clean drawing and inserting stuff while keeping an eye on the linetypes to see what they come with.
    Drafting is a breeze.

Computer Details
    Dana W's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 8 64 bit
    Computer:
    Dell XPS ONE 2710
    Motherboard:
    Dunno
    CPU:
    Intel I-5 3330S @ 2.7 Ghz
    RAM:
    6 Gb
    Graphics:
    On board barely adequate
    Primary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte
    Secondary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte external
    Monitor:
    All in one 27" touch & pen
    Discipline
    Construction
    Dana W's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Architectural Millwork Designer/Draftsman
    Discipline
    Construction
    Details
    Custom commercial millwork.
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2018

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

I mentioned the dgn lines since there has been a lot of traffic about them lately, and the behavior noted sounds similar to having them. It's not necessarily the answer.
    The S197 gen Ford Mustang, and the F-4 Phantom both prove the same theory. "With enough power applied, a school bus will fly."