Shaded & Hidden Wireframe Hybrid Plotting...

lamensterms

Hi guys,

Just seeking a bit of advice on the best way to achieve this particular plot stlye in ACAD. Please see image below for example.

I would like to be able to create a plot with 3D objects shaded and also have the hidden wireframe superimposed over the top.

attachment.php?attachmentid=55666&cid=1&stc=1

The image above was created by plotting to PDF twice (once with legacy hidden visual style, and again with the shaded visual style), then I had to superimpose the PDFs using Acrobat.

Is there a better way to do this?

Is there any way to have a vector shaded plot (rather than the pixelated raster)?

Thanks a lot for any help.

PS: I've been having a few issues understanding the image attachment protocol for this forum. As you can see, I have inserted the image inline, but it also appears as an attachment. I'm hesitant to remove the attachment as it might make the inline image un-viewable as well. What is the best way to insert inline images into threads (without using an external image hosting site).

Thanks a lot.

Test.jpg

The only way I know to get a vector image of a hidden line removed line drawing from AutoCAD is to set the Visualstyle to 2D wireframe, set DISPSILH to 1 (to turn off the display of facet boundaries), then give the hide command. At this point you can select the objects in the resulting display and do a Ctrl-C to copy the vectors to the clipboard. From here I go to Word and do a Paste Special, Picture (Windows Metafile). You can now change the lineweight, color, etc. of the lines in Word by right-clicking on the image and selecting Edit Picture (you may also need to Ungroup the lines). Use Word's Shape Outline to set color and line weight. I find a line weight of 0.75 pt to be suitable for most lines. Once you have a suitable line drawing you can copy and paste it into your image editing program an its own layer and make the background transparent (I use Gimp because it is free). ~ Lee

The only way I know to get a vector image of a hidden line removed line drawing from AutoCAD is to set the Visualstyle to 2D wireframe, set DISPSILH to 1 (to turn off the display of facet boundaries), then give the hide command. At this point you can select the objects in the resulting display and do a Ctrl-C to copy the vectors to the clipboard. From here I go to Word and do a Paste Special, Picture (Windows Metafile). You can now change the lineweight, color, etc. of the lines in Word by right-clicking on the image and selecting Edit Picture (you may also need to Ungroup the lines). Use Word's Shape Outline to set color and line weight. I find a line weight of 0.75 pt to be suitable for most lines. Once you have a suitable line drawing you can copy and paste it into your image editing program an its own layer and make the background transparent (I use Gimp because it is free). ~ Lee

Thanks for the tip Lee. Any pointers on the production of the shaded plot? Is it possible to produce a vector graphics shaded plot?