hidden jewel - flatshot

bjenk8100

After all these years I cannot believe I never knew about flatshot. I always just used different viewports to which view I wanted. However, someone I guess figured out that cnc machines prefer 2D models. Was this the essential reason for the flatshot command or are there other reasons that I am not aware of? Still cant believe I never heard of the command :oops:

After all these years I cannot believe I never knew about flatshot. I always just used different viewports to which view I wanted. However, someone I guess figured out that cnc machines prefer 2D models. Was this the essential reason for the flatshot command or are there other reasons that I am not aware of? Still cant believe I never heard of the command :oops:

- that's 1 main reason I come on here!

seems there's loads of good stuff everyone else knows about.

Beginner's Area & LISP forum seem the most lucrative :-)

I have tried using viewbase. It still has 3D components behind what you are seeing. That defeats the purpose I am looking for. I need it to be in 2D. Older CNC machines process much better this way.

I have tried using viewbase. It still has 3D components behind what you are seeing. That defeats the purpose I am looking for. I need it to be in 2D. Older CNC machines process much better this way.

Ah, I see. Cool that it works for you.

Viewbase is fancy. And FLATSHOT still has it's purpose. Mainly it helps with exactly what bjenk8100 is using it for - prepping CNC profiles for G-code.

But Viewbase is a quirky little tool. At least it used to be. It simulates the parametric modeling applications, which is nice. Flatshot came out in.... 2007 I believe? It was a very much needed tool at its time, as back then only FLATTEN.lsp was available and it was less than par, especially with isometric flattening.

I never had luck with the flattening tool. My objects get all wacky and allover the place usually. I am so glad i learned about flatshot. I would draw 3D and then redraw each plan/elevation view again, lol. Talk about a waste of time that was. However, sometimes that can come in handy. Especially, if things change a lot. Editing 3D can get rough sometimes especially if your not an ace.

You making out alright down there? I know S. Carolina is in real bad shape according to news.

Thanks for asking but we, western NC, missed out on the flooding. I did get over 7" of rain in about 5 days but nothing like what the coasts of NC and SC got. My uncle is about 25 miles outside of Charleston and he is about had his fill of rain ;)

Man, I used to use this little trick of setting up a DXB printer to print hidden views to a DXB file. I would then bring those DXB files back into AutoCAD as flattened line work. Flatshot and Viewbase did away with that for me, thank goodness!

There's a neat little trick after using Viewbase to create your views - EXPORTLAYOUT. That will create a new drawing with your views as explodable objects leaving you with 2D objects.

ill check it out. why not just use flatshot. I never really messed around with base layout features. I will if i get time

I use both (even the old SOLDRAW commands) depending on the desired output. One drawback with Viewbase is it only works with solid bodies, there are times I want simple objects as well.