Is there a way to create a "negative" solid?

msuracer10

Basically I want to subtract a solid from another solid without actually subtracting it. Not sure if this is possible or if anyone has a different solution, but here's the background: I have a concrete structure with numerous pipe sleeves and blockouts that I would like to subtract out, but they haven't settled on anything yet and they move sometimes daily. I want to be able to keep a group of solids that represent void areas that are easy to move around and appear as voids in my main solids. This would prevent me from having to start from scratch on the voids every time something changes and maintaining a base set of solids. Any suggestions or alternatives are appreciated. Just looking for a more efficient way of model maintenance.

I'd put the concrete slab on one layer and the "voids" as you call them on another and assign each a different color. I wouldn't subtract the voids until the final placement is determined. Then I'd use the xray visual style to see where the voids are in relationship to the slab. Move them as many times as you want.

You are aware though that even if you did subtract them they could be repositioned via the Move Faces command right?

Explore the INTERFERE command. During the command, there's an option before completing the task where it doesn't delete the solid created. It works in the same way as SUBTRACT, but instead of deleting the geometry it creates a new solid in its place, without tampering with the original solid.

Hope this helps.

I figure that's where I'll end up, but not quite what I'm going for. Guess I'm looking for a solid version of a wipeout command, if that makes any sense.

Go ahead and punch the holes in the concrete slab. You can grab them and erase, move, scale the opening. Simply hold the CTRL key down, select on the face of the hole, and erase, or grab the grip and move it around, or use the scale command and go from there.

Thanks for the quick replies and good advice. I think the move faces and the ctrl select faces will get me by for what I need to do. Still interested if someone knows of some kind of anti-solid/ 3d version of a wipeout.