Hiding .BAK files

bennyboy86

Hello just wondering if there is anyway of hiding the .bak files. as becoming painful with my folders, when have anything over 10 drawings have to scroll down. if i try and sort by type it puts the DWGs to the top yes but they are backwards 10, 9 ,8 etc instead of 1,2 ,3. so can i hide the .bak file and not have it turn on, tried right clicking and making file hidden but as soon as i save the dwg the bak is back. if cant find solution will just turn of creating bak files.

thanks for the help

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobDraw

• Dana W

• rkent

• dbroada

Top Posters In This Topic

Click sort by type more than once and the drawings come first in alphanumeric order. If you stop creating the .bak file, more than a week into a complicated new drawing, AutoCad will crash and corrupt it enough to make it unusable. With no .bak, nobody has your back. Minimum wage is not very much, so keep them.

i have tried sorting by type, when sort with .bak files as first, its all in order 1 -10, but when sort with DWG on top it goes 10 - 1, no matter i pick or try this is always the case, as i stated in my original message this option does not work main reason why i am asking for help. i am looking for something not found by just googling it or using the standard old methods as i have done that.

using windows 7 and autocad 2014.

So your saying autocad will deliberately corrupt my drawings if dont use .bak files? then why can i chose to not create .bak files? seems a bit pointless.

Right click a DWG, select Open With, and choose AutoCAD DWG Launcher, or simply reassociate same. This will prioritize DWG above BAK in Explorer.

Cheers

fantastic thanks blackbox, that has done it!!

You're welcome; I'm happy to help. :beer:

Also note that you can customize where .BAK files are created/located (if created at all), or have IT/Network Admin run a simple Script (PowerShell?) after hours that automagically purges your domain of .BAK files... Say, only those older than two weeks?

This will let you take advantage of what .BAK is intended for, and keep your project(s) relatively clean without any hands-on effort to take away from production... Just do your CAD work, and that's it. :thumbsup:

Cheers

I am going on 20 years without .bak files, turned it off and never regretted it.
Me too. I can't even remember wishing I had one - and never will now. :D

i have tried sorting by type, when sort with .bak files as first, its all in order 1 -10, but when sort with DWG on top it goes 10 - 1, no matter i pick or try this is always the case, as i stated in my original message this option does not work main reason why i am asking for help. i am looking for something not found by just googling it or using the standard old methods as i have done that.

using windows 7 and autocad 2014.

So your saying autocad will deliberately corrupt my drawings if dont use .bak files? then why can i chose to not create .bak files? seems a bit pointless.

No, of course AutoCad won't, but Karma will.

^ ^ ^ Must be rkent's twin brother. Twins have all the luck. :)
as somebody who has never needed a bak file can you explain how they help?

I have occasionally accidentally deleted a dwg file but I would have deleted the bak file too had it been there. I have had occasions to go back a few days but as I QSAVEd often, the bak file would only have been less than an hour previous, not a few days.

I can't remember having a corrupt file that could not be restored from within AutoCAD.

Every once in a while I try to close a drawing without saving and inadvertently click yes instead of no when asked to save.

Edited by RobDraw

Every once in a while I close a drawing without saving and inadvertently click yes instead of no when asked to save.
:lol: Hah hah, really. I have been known to click NO instead of YES. I think this also deletes the autosave file, does it not? I may be mistaken.

The only thing I find disconcerting about bak files is that it is a particularly unappealing combination of characters. B A K, who came up with that anyway.

I haven't had to use it, but in Windows I can go to the folder, properties, previous versions and restore files from the same day and a few days back. IT has backups if something really bad happens. No proof, just anecdotal, but I keep 'create backup copy..' off and 'Full-time CRC validation' on and I don't end up with corrupt files. I hit qsave so often that a .bak wouldn't get me back to an earlier version of the file, so another reason for me to not use .bak files. If I am going to experiment with a design I save to another file name and work from there depending.