Wireframe/Shaded Transition Render

lamensterms

Hey guys,

I used to produce these transition renderings with Navisworks Simulate 2013 (presenter).

We have now upgraded to Navisworks 2015, and of course - the presenter tool has been removed.

Just after some suggestions for alternative software that will produce nice hidden wireframe renderings to superimpose over the regular shaded renderings (I use Photoshop for the superimposing).

Or if anyone knows what this rendering style is called - to make the google-ing easier.

Thanks a lot for any help.

TransitionRender.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lamensterms

• David Bethel

• f700es

• Cad64

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can do it in Photoshop as well. Use 2 images, 1 wire frame and 1 shaded. Use the same view. I think you use a gradient fill as a mask. I have done it before but not in a long time.

Should be able to David. Here is how in PS...

Make your 2 images..

1 wire frame and 1 shaded (or rendered)

Open the wire frame in PS.

Step-1.jpg

Create a new layer above this one

step-2.jpg

Open the shaded view and then copy and paste into the new layer

step-3.jpg

Add a Layer Mask to the shaded layer

step-4.jpg

Make sure the colors are set to white over black and then select gradient fill and drag from left to right on the image. You can re do the gradient fill until you get the desired effect.

step-5.jpg

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

All due respect, but I think we are deviating from the main topic of the thread, which is finding new software to produce the hidden wireframe rendering (now that presenter has been removed from Navisworks).

As I mentioned in the original post, I do use Photoshop to combine and blend the 2 images.

With all due respect I thought that was exactly what we were doing. Trying to find an alternate method to produce the image you posted

It seemed to me the discussion was beginning to focus more on the post-production of the rendered images (ie, combining them in GIMP or Photoshop), rather actually creating the rendered images.

You can use AutoCAD saveimg command to export any shademode or rendered output.

2012:

Command: shademode

VSCURRENT

Enter an option

[2dwireframe/Wireframe/Hidden/Realistic/Conceptual/Shaded/shaded with

Edges/shades of Gray/SKetchy/X-ray/Other] :

I used Accurender to produce the serving carts renderings. 1 with surface model, 1 with all edges converted to traces.

Thanks for the suggestions David. How do you find Accurender in terms of ease-of-use? The beauty of Navisworks' Presenter was that it was really easy to use (with existing NW knowledge). All I had to do was present a view, apply some materials and export a rendered image.

CAD64 posted earlier and mentioned Modo, which seems pretty high end, with a pretty steep learning curve. That post seems to have been deleted now though.

Doesn't NW use viewports like Autocad, if yes could you just copy one viewport on top of the other one rendered and one wireframe with transparency set per viewport, if no then pretend you didn't read this as I use LT which has no rendering capabilities anyway.

Hi Steven, yes NW does have viewports (or windows), but unfortunately with the latest versions of NW there is no option to render (high res) a hidden wireframe rendering (at least not that I have found).

In previous versions of NW the rendering tool was called 'Presenter', which was pretty versatile but still easy to use. Presenter has now been replaced with another rendering tool which a bit basic compared to Presenter. It still produces nice results, but there is not hidden wireframe or ink render styles.

Accurender is VERY old and doesn't work with newer releases of AutoCAD. I don't know if Robert McNeel & Associates even supports a full rendering add-on for Autocad any longer.

Accurender is VERY old and doesn't work with newer releases of AutoCAD. I don't know if Robert McNeel & Associates even supports a full rendering add-on for Autocad any longer.

Looks like they have gone with Flamingo and Brazil :( No real surprise as AutoCAD comes with MentalRay as the default rendering engine.

The beauty of Navisworks' Presenter was that it was really easy to use (with existing NW knowledge). All I had to do was present a view, apply some materials and export a rendered image.

CAD64 posted earlier and mentioned Modo, which seems pretty high end, with a pretty steep learning curve. That post seems to have been deleted now though.

Yeah, I posted but then deleted it because I figured it probably was too high end and therefore not really relevant. But in my opinion, the learning curve for Modo is really not steep at all. Modo is really user friendly and pretty easy to learn. The renders below were created by simply applying a 'Cel Edges' material and doing a few simple tweaks of the settings to adjust color and edge display.

Blue Cube.jpg

Blue Cube2.jpg

You can also achieve this sort of look in Studio Max with the Ink 'n Paint material: http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/13/ENU/Autodesk%203ds%20Max%202011%20Help/files/WSf742dab0410631334fd1fb1c112a1ce99ff-7f48.htm, but with Studio Max, now you really are looking at a steep learning curve. :cry:

And to answer one of your original questions, this type of rendering is typically referred to as Non-Photorealistic rendering, or NPR Rendering because your images come out looking more Illustrative or Cartoonish.

Thanks Cad64, I think I will have to hunt around a bit for some new software, I appreciate the suggestions. Have you had any experience with Autodesk Showcase?

No, I haven't used Showcase. Over the past few years I have been slowly moving away from Autodesk products. The only Autodesk program I still use is Autocad.

I'm in the process of learning Keyshot right now. I don't have enough experience yet to comment on what it can or can't do, but it has a toon shader than can produce these types of images.