Curving a Drawing

SSArchi

Hey all,

I haven't used CAD in a while and am using CAD 3D for the first time.

I have an elevation and a plan and I am trying to curve the elevation wall along a curve on the plan. How can I make it bend/curve along that specific curvature? The elevation is of course straight but i need it to be curved.

I'm not even sure if that's possible but Thanks in advance for your help

Take a profile of your wall and either sweep it or extrude it along the path of your curve. A fairly straight-forward and easy thing to do. For example:

3D Curved Wall.jpg

Edited by ReMark

Most things are possible, could you post a copy of the drawing, to give us an idea of the amount of detail there is in the elevation. It will be easier to see if you then need to do it manually or possibly find a way maybe with a programming routine.

ReMark, I guess i explained it wrong. I dont want to draw a curved wall. I have an elevation that is already drawn and I want to now bend that already drawn elevation along the curve of the floor.

steven-g, I want to but I just started using this last night and I'm not sure how to post images. I googled it and supposedly there should be an option to post from a URL or my computer but when i click the attach image icon, I only get the option to post using a URL

Something like this

curve.JPG

It is easier if you can attach a dwg file, or save the image as a jpg file somewhere and then attach it on the advanced page (paper clip symbol) and at the bottom of the dialogue click insert inline.

Something like I drew is ok for a quick impression, but for anything more complicated is long winded, besides full Autocad has a much better toolset for this. So you probably shouldn't try and do it this way. From my knowledge of the full version I would imagine press pull might be a good option, but we really need to see an example. All I did with this is change the view to isometric, leave the plan as it was and then with the UCS set to right rotated the elevation to be vertical keeping its base line on the same plane as the plan. Then copying geometry from the plan to the appropriate heights using the elevation as a reference, and finally drew in the vertical lines to fill in the details.

Screenshot (22).jpg

This is what I'm working with. I want that elevation to bend along that curve next to it. Would you suggest i try the same thing you just described?

Definately not. This technique can not curve a vertical arc onto a curved surface, this is an old thread but shows one possibility http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?64610-mapping-a-2D-drawing-onto-a-3D-curved-surface

And I believe that SEANT also has a more recent method.

But now that we can see what you are after hopefully someone will step in with a workable technique

My $0.05 I am not an expert in 3d but this is my go at your problem. As full 3d. The arch cutouts should be located true tangent to the curved wall. If you want a 2d+ drawing then its possible to think about old fashioned flat plate unfolding eg funnel, by using arc lengths and lines vertically then a parabola joining the lines. yes a lisp would do that.

ScreenShot015.jpg

Searching around, this type of question appears quite often but all I have found are references to Inventor and sheet metalwork. As BIGAL says in Autocad the only way I can see it being done is using mathematics (arc length, using center,start,length and then from there add in a height) but that only gives a series of points that you would need to join up, and you would need to decide what accuracy you need for that. And that only gives you a line drawing or points for a spline which is fine for a visual representation, but I don't know how you could then convert that to a true 3D model, such as a mesh or solid.