Human model measure perimeter of waist and bust

LaagHangend

Hi,

Is there a way to measure the perimeter of differents parts/heights of a stl file. The stl file is a scan of a human body. So basically i want to know the perimeters/oultine of the burst, waist and hips.

Thanks you!:)

Seems strange that someone using Solidworks would post in the AutoCAD Beginners' Area a question regarding a .stl file. While one can export as a .stl file from AutoCAD I don't see an option for importing the same file type. So, clear things up for us. Are you using Solidworks?

For the moment I'll assume you are using Solidworks in which case I found this recommendation online at the..........wait for it...........Solidworks forum. Who would have guessed?

"Solution is to go to open (select STL)->Click options in the open file dialog->and select import as a solid body. This allows you to pick edges or vertices."

Thanks for responding.

I am using solidworks, but i am also using Autocad. The reason i choose to use autocad to find the measurments is that solidworks isn't made for stl-file's and the proces of getting it is really slow. It can only handle a maximum of 40k of facets or so. I can load a stl file in solidworks, and with the method of using a 3D spline i can find the perimeter of a surtain level around the model (surface body). But i want to know if this is possible with autocad. So thats why:).

Sorry for my bad english.

Maybe you better get your information straight then return and ask your question?

So moving right along. You have this human body entity in AutoCAD and it is a surface, a mesh, a solid, a 2D wireframe, other?

I don't know, i just wanna know if its possible to measure a outline of a certain level of a model, unregarded of it is a surface, a mesh, a solid, a 2D wireframe or other, bacause i can change that.

I don't know either.

Upload a copy of the drawing to a file sharing website like DropBox. Someone here might take pity on you, download the drawing, open it and not only figure out what you have but how to accomplish the task you have set for yourself.

ahhh, what am i talking about, it was an .obj file....

Autocad cannot import an .obj file. You will need to export from Solidworks to another file format that Autocad will accept, like .3ds format. Once you have the model in Autocad, you could draw a polyline around various parts of the body to find the measurements. I don't know how precise the measurements will be, but you could probably get pretty close.

I have moved your question to the 3D Modeling section: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?20-AutoCAD-3D-Modelling-amp-Rendering