making a solid uneven vessel hull....has made me very confused

liquid-blue22

Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum but have been using the tutorials on and off for the last few months, they have been great and to be honest have covered everything I needed....until now

My problem (and I am really hoping someone can help me) is that I am trying to create a vessel hull, the end use software requires the hull be a solid not just a surface. I have several to spec GA drawings for the vessel and what I have done is put them into CAD and have layered the plan views at the correct heights, see below...

ahv.jpg

I have extruded the lower level (blue) from the 0 point Z axis up to the yellow level (ballast level) and hidden the levels above the yellow layer just to make it a little clearer, basically I want to create a hull like shape between the yellow outline and the blue in solid form, but am drawing a complete blank on how to do it... Below should be an image of the hull with one surface created to show the angle (all the way around) i am trying to achieve with a solid....

ahv2.jpg

I need to do it all the way around the yellow layer to join to the blue layer in solid form, I am not worried by having the hull arched (although it would be nice) I just hope there is a way of doing it as the only way I can think of is to keep making and extruding surface for each small part of the hull, this would take months of me fiddling with the ucs to create individual surface layers :?

Any help on this would be great

Sam

Have you tried lofting a series of profiles?

There are CAD programs specifically designed for this type of work. Why aren't you using one of them?

Well try the lofted profiles idea and see what results you get.

I would try loft also but you will need to seperate it into parts for the shop to produce it so loft it in seperate parts my opinion if you intend to use it later on for shop purposes

I would try loft also but you will need to seperate it into parts for the shop to produce it so loft it in seperate parts my opinion if you intend to use it later on for shop purposes

Shape is called Amphora only things missing are the two handles

pottery maker ?

Hi guys, thanks for the quick replys, I am going "lofting" now. I will come back with the results. Hopefully something that looks like a boat rather than a pottery piece

Hi guys, thanks for the quick replys, I am going "lofting" now. I will come back with the results. Hopefully something that looks like a boat rather than a pottery piece

Sorry my error i did misread the posting and forgot all about the hull

thats okay given the way its going it may end up looking more like a piece of pottery ;-)

The loft function is great, i have been having some fun playing around with it, but I am having a problem making it to a solid, I will carry on playing with it before I ask any questions, as its probably just me doing something stupid

You may have to resort to using the THICKEN command.

That's brilliant and worked really well for the base, unfortuantly the sides of the hull yielded this;

"surfaces cannot be thickened with specified value. Object intersects itself."

Is there anyway around that? :unsure:

Ah, why do I have a feeling that is the same as going right back to the beginning. The hull geometry is both concave and convex and unless I work outside the GA drawings I can't see any way I could clean the geometry up. This is what I have now the loft command is run but it has only created a surface and I really need a solid:

ahv3.jpg

I started quite large without meaning too, I started with about +1.0m, after realising my mistake I then tried +0.1, then +0.0001. All resulted in the same.

Without an actual copy of the drawing to experiment with I can't give you a definitive answer one way or the other.

I think you should find a more suitable program for doing hull design other than AutoCAD.

I have done it :-) So in the end I basically created a Keel level planar surface which I then extruded into a solid to the height of the next deck, I then used the "lofted" surface to slice the shape I needed :D Thanks again for all of your help with this

Not at all, I would not have known about most of the commands if I had not read many of your responces in other posts. Much appreciated :-)