Object selection

buttonbutton

Can anyone please help ..

i have a curved 3d polyline that i need to offset autocad lt 2014 wont allow me to do this unless i explode the line, the only issue is that i then have to offset hundreds of individual lines, which i can accept but then i need to select these lines created by the offset to give them a new layer//linetype, etc .. is there any way i can select the items i created on the last operation ie offset . i can do it and it selects the very last line... but am needing it to do for the whole operation .. i hope you understand what i mean ..or am i just going about this the wrong way ??

Thanks for reading .

Too bad you are using LT and not full AutoCAD because I found a custom lisp routine for offsetting a 3D polyline that works.

How many 3D polylines do you have to offset?

yeah it kinda blows about lisps not working on lt

i have only about 3100 individual pieces !! .. .. do you know if you can offset in two directions at once .. am basically showing cable that is in ducting so needing parallel lines on both sides .. there's miles and miles of it .. if i could offset in both directions at once it would cut it down by half.. two thirds away threw now but its just in-case i come across this again ...

thanks for your response

The problem, in a nutshell, is you are using LT. So that means that most of the solutions you'll come across are going to be lisp based and you can't use them.

I was going to offer to offset the line for you but seeing how you are most of the way there I guess it's pointless.

Would it not be possible to explode the 3dpolyline, flatten the lines, convert to polyline and join the segments, and then offset ? Providing there aren't any arc's (just straight lines) this should be an option for a macro. It's a bit unclear because you mention a curved 3dpolyline and then lines once exploded. Could you post the DWG

You can PEdit a 3Dpolyline and use the Spline option on it thus creating a curved 3Dpolyline. Upon exploding it however it becomes a series of straight line segments. In a simple test I created a 10 segment 3Dpolyline. Then I applied the Spline curve option. Finally I exploded it. I now had 64 line segments.

flatten is an express tool to the best of my knowledge. the 3d poly became lines after exploded .. once you join them again (without Flatten) they become a 3d poly again ..

Thanks anyway

So long as it doesn't have arc's there is a macro that we use in LT fot flattening objects, it just gives problems with some objects (like arc's)

Can anyone please help ..

i have a curved 3d polyline that i need to offset autocad lt 2014 wont allow me to do this unless i explode the line, the only issue is that i then have to offset hundreds of individual lines, which i can accept but then i need to select these lines created by the offset to give them a new layer//linetype, etc .. is there any way i can select the items i created on the last operation ie offset . i can do it and it selects the very last line... but am needing it to do for the whole operation .. i hope you understand what i mean ..or am i just going about this the wrong way ??

Thanks for reading .

Could you post at least a portion of the drawing. I am not clear if you have a 3dpline, or a pline in 3D, etc.

Yeah that's the macro (use with care and only on backup copies of a file). And continuing on from there here is a macro that will lump it all together

^C^C^C-la;n;temp;s;temp;;change;\;p;la;temp;;explode;\;;selectsimilar;l;;move;0,0,0;0,0,1e99;move;p;;0,0,0;0,0,-1e99;pe;m;p;;y;j;j;b;;;o;

For some reason you have to click on the 3Dpoly twice, the first time it refuses to explode it. This macro creates a "temp" layer and places the new pline onto that layer and finishes by starting the offset command. It may or may not work on your actual 3dpoly, but it's a start. (Don't forget to backup your drawing first.

i need to select these lines created by the offset to give them a new layer//linetype, etc ..

Offset now has a layer option. Make the layer that you want them on current and then assign that option in the offset command.