Revision Schedule

O'Huggin

Could somebody lead me to the nearest and readily accessible site or set of instructions on how to create the visual table for the revisions.

All the sites or Youtube tutorials I went to deal only on the programming aspect and the inputting of revision cloud and tag and how they synchronize.

But it does not teach how to put up a customized table say ...with 6 equal rows measuring 1/4" deep with varying column widths, one for REVISION NO. measuring 1/4" wide, one for REVISION DESCRIPTION measuring 1/2" wide, etc., etc. The headings must not be visible in the destination sheet and the fields space allocation must fit snugly into that space provided for it on the top right corner of the Title Block. The fonts should be... and justified as...

There is no such tutorial I can find.

I attached the revit file as well as the appearance as it looks in AutoCAD.

Thanks once again.

TBlock 24x36 1.rfa

TBLOCK 1 24 X 36.dwg

I'm almost there, but one eureka moment takes an average, more than an hour to arrive.

So far this is what I managed to do. The result of my tweaking and experimenting:

The Revision Number (or Letter) is OK.

The Revision Description is OK.

The Revision Date is not. It's wrapped. I can't get to have it straightened. What happened is that when I arrived at the Model Schedule/Quantities tab while in the Schedule Revision Properties dialogue box to shrink the width of the font, the icons are all ghosted except the Unhide All and the Load into Project icons. It won't allow me to access the Font icon.

The result of this not being able to tweak the Revision Date field text is that the first row is deeper, to accommodate the extra line space. So it's not in uniform with the rest of the other rows' depth.

One more, the Issued By is also OK.

BTW, the destination file can't be attached because the file has grown to 1M.

TBlock 24x36 2.rfa

I settled for another solution that was not ideally what I like. But it's still acceptable. The result is that I stretched out the Revision Date cell to accommodate a space fit for the last digit of the year, sacrificing the cell width of the Revision Description. But it's OK because it's bound to happen that if the description is long, it will be wrapped. This is where wrapping is tolerable.

Is there a way I can dictate that the Revision Number and Issued By texts, since they are one- or two-letter character entries, maintain their mid-center justification to the geometric center of the cell? They stick to their location even if the Revision Description cell becomes two or three or more lines deep.

My only problem now is why is my Sheet Issues/Revision dialogue box incompletely missed out on the Revision Cloud Arc length option field? I see it in others located on the right bottom corner, mine has it totally obliterated. How can I adjust the arc length now?

So far this is the most cumbersome of table making-programming work I did. It's not playful and intuitive, rather more reminiscent of the DOS-era when only pure nerds can understand the computer.

Edited by O'Huggin
Wrong placement of sentence.

1. You cannot adjust the specific height of the cell. This is dictated by the height of the text.

2. Many people create a revision table without gridlines. Just let them stack up. If you select the schedule in the Project Browser of the Family, and go to Appearance > Height > Variable, then it'll populate the gridlines as revisions are selected (shown below).

UD5uIqq.png

Again, what I'll advise you to do on this particular matter is to break away from the way you did it in AutoCAD. This is another area where you can't "fine tune" it, but.... think of what you're gaining. Never again will you have to worry about a Revision being wrong or missed during the QA/QC process. So finding a new format that is acceptable will be best in this particular scenario, and let the bidirectional populating information be the justification behind it.

Hope this helps. :)

-TZ

Thanks TZ. In the past four days since I started posting, I gained a lot from you. I have moved on and I don't think this should weighed me down. I found a way to it, not to bug me down if only to pursue Revit from scratch to completion. Same thing for the Shared Parameters, it was a bit of an information overload you sent for a simple task of just moving up the Site Plan in the hierarchy of views. I will be always counting for your wisdom and experience, thanks.

I have moved on and I don't think this should weighed me down. I found a way to it' date=' not to bug me down if only to pursue Revit from scratch to completion.[/quote']This is a very good attitude to maintain when just starting out with Revit. It's very different from AutoCAD and it's hard to understand the benefits unless you simply push through it, start to finish. Every single person who has adopted Revit from an AutoCAD background has all mentioned that they'll never use AutoCAD again. If you're in the AEC industry, it'll be a matter of time when the light bulb will go off for you as well. Just give it time.

Same thing for the Shared Parameters' date=' it was a bit of an information overload you sent for....[/quote']Yeah, it was. And I knew it was. That's why I gave links for you to reference, rather than me try and explain it in a single paragraph. Shared Parameters is an extremely valuable area of Revit. It's what sets it above the rest because it enables you to gather all types of information from a job, rather than rely merely on visual drawing and manually placed notes. It will especially be valuable when you start using Formulas in your Families along with Shared Parameters. This is a good thread to bookmark and come back to when you're ready: http://www.revitforum.org/tutorials-tips-tricks/1046-revit-formulas-everyday-usage.html

I will be always counting for your wisdom and experience' date=' thanks.[/quote']Glad I could help. Revit was very tough for me to adopt back in 2007, but I finally did based on a friend's recommendation. On a personal note, he basically ranted to me for twenty minutes while drinking some beers to quit being a stubborn mule thinking that "AutoCAD" was the greatest thing ever, and to listen to what he was telling me. I'd retort, and he'd rebut, giving examples of why I was wrong. Being the stubborn mule I'm known to be (especially back then) I finally listened and just tried it. After he helped me with the basics, I was humming along in no time and never looked back. Definitely a game changer - however, you'll have to leave some AutoCAD based things behind and let it be.

With AutoCAD, my "product" was a drawing. With Revit, my "product" is a building - "the" building to be exact. Along with that my product is a material list, fabrication set, the building is fully coordinated, cost analysis, a risk-management and a project management deliverable and many others.

Keep coming with the questions. A few of us here are solid Revit users and will help you along as you need. 8)

-TZ