View Title Name Not = View Name

O'Huggin

Is there a way that the View Title can be manipulated that it's not made to identically name share with its View?

Some buildings must avoid the boiler plate Level 1, Level 2 naming rule - in situations like having 2 Parapet Levels, even 3 Basements, or 2 or 3 independent roofs with varying tops. But I think Revit organizes them only in the numerical then alphabetical fashion and not from lowest to highest which is more intuitive when searching for the floor while in session.

The result is the order starts with Level 1, then Level 2, and if there is a basement, jump to Basement, then jump again to Mezzanine, then to Penthouse, then to Roof.

It's rather disorganized. What I would do is append the levels by numbers, viz. 01 Basement, 02 1st Floor, 03 Mezzanine, 04 2nd Floor, 05 Penthouse, 06 Roof, etc.... But prefixes are not needed to appear anymore in the drawing titles (View Title). Can Revit be programmed to disregard the prefixes in any incidences that need to describe these levels other than for organizing purposes in the Project Browser?

Go to the sheet you are working, and check the Properties dialogue box. Scroll down for the field Sheet Name. This allows you to rename the drawing differently from the View Name. I'm not sure though how it will react if there are two floor plans in one sheet. This might pose a headache.

But this quick fix doesn't address the problem with the View names sharing with the Level labels. I can live with the title 1st Floor Level on my plan with the 1st Floor Level label on the elevations and sections but not the 1st Floor Plan title on my plan with the 1st Floor Plan level labels on my elevations and sections. And for now (as far as solutions are still in the horizon), I am still appending the 01, 02 (viz. 01 - Site Plan, 02 - 1st Floor Plan, etc.), prefixes on my plan views so that they will stack up beautifully on the Project Browser.

There might be a way around this when Revit asks "Would you like to rename corresponding views and levels?" The books would always recommend yes, but I have not come across them explaining what is the consequences of not doing so. Are there unintended bad consequences? The most dreadful thing that may happen is that data might not be synchronized anymore which defeats the purpose of why Revit was designed for.

Go to the sheet you are working' date=' and check the Properties dialogue box. Scroll down for the field Sheet Name. This allows you to rename the drawing differently from the View Name. I'm not sure though how it will react if there are two floor plans in one sheet. This might pose a headache.[/quote']

As Rob mentioned, use Title on Sheet. This way you name each View a unique name, but the Title on the Sheet can reflect whatever you choose. I do this for my Section Views, each Section's View will be named something unique, but on the Title that shows up on the sheet it reeds "SECTION" on every one:

JALo2LQ.png

But this quick fix doesn't address the problem with the View names sharing with the Level labels. I can live with the title 1st Floor Level on my plan with the 1st Floor Level label on the elevations and sections but not the 1st Floor Plan title on my plan with the 1st Floor Plan level labels on my elevations and sections. And for now (as far as solutions are still in the horizon)' date=' I am still appending the 01, 02 (viz. 01 - Site Plan, 02 - 1st Floor Plan, etc.), prefixes on my plan views so that they will stack up beautifully on the Project Browser.[/quote']Name the Level exactly what it is: Level 1, Level 2, Basement, Footing, Parapet, etc. This way in Section and Elevation Views, people know what it is.

As for stacking in Project Browser, use "Sort By: Associated Level" in this organizational method - this will organize all Views by Associated Level in Ascending/Descending order as you need:

bTVqZMC.png

There might be a way around this when Revit asks "Would you like to rename corresponding views and levels?" The books would always recommend yes' date=' but I have not come across them explaining what is the consequences of not doing so. Are there unintended bad consequences? The most dreadful thing that may happen is that data might not be synchronized anymore which defeats the purpose of why Revit was designed for.[/quote']ALWAYS choose no to this. This is the dumbest thing Revit does IMHO. It renames your Level in doing so. The most irritating part of Revit, hands down. If you do say yes, then your "Level 1, Level 2, etc" will become whatever you name it. So for me, in the MEP realm, if I rename my new Plan View to "1ST FLOOR MECHANICAL HVAC PLAN" then it'll rename my Level to that name. So so dumb. Say no, always. Unless, of course, you actually DO want to rename your Levels.

Hope this helps. :)

-TZ

Thanks again TZ.

But how do you ungroup the Site Plan from Level 1? It seems they are head and tail tandem, the Site Plan always go below Level 1. Revit sorts by Numeric-Alpha with no option for Alpha-Numeric.

What descriptor would distinguish them from each other? I tried by Scale but not the one, not absolutely by View Name. I don't want to make too many sub-branches.

Ideally, it would be Site Plan and the succeeding Floor Plans, Ceiling Plans, Elevations, Sections branches just immediately under Architectural branch, then inside Floor Plans branch go the sub-branches of Level 1, Level 2.... arranged by associated levels.

I see. This is where you'll want to use Shared Parameters to organize your Browser. You simply add Text based Shared parameters to your Views in the Project, and use this as the criteria to Sort your Browser however you want.

Are you familiar with Shared Parameters yet?

Read here for information on Shared Parameters:

Shared Parameters Parent Topic:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/ENU/Revit-Model/files/GUID-E7D12B71-C50D-46D8-886B-8E0C2B285988-htm.html

Shared Project Parameters:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2014/ENU/Revit/files/GUID-114C68A9-FF2B-4D4C-A2DF-3AE7E1F174C8-htm.html

Now, refer to this image:

http://i.imgur.com/5dNU93N.png

Notice how my Project Browser is organized. Because I added a S.P. to my Views in my Project, I can now organize the Project Browser by what I type in the View Project Parameters that I added to my Views.

This should also give you an in-depth tutorial on how this is accomplished:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-96F9CDB5-C46D-4597-943B-DF231E8EC688

Also, Shared Parameters is something you need to get very familiar with if you want Revit to do the things that put Revit above all the rest. S.P.'s is what makes Revit "information rich" and allows your project and workflow to come alive.

-TZ