looking for feedback on my structural project for penn foster

justrideemall

Hello all,

wanna start by saying you guys are extremely helpful... I find a lot of answers here...these forums saved my life on the oleson village project....that being said I'm looking for some feedback on what I've done so far on this project

structural plate 1.png

structural plate 2.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• JonnaMcSki

• justrideemall

• autocadstudent1

Looks pretty good from what I can see. My one piece of advice is that at either end of the section the outside of the concrete support be squared off.

OK...just notice one other thing in the section. Should there be two columns holding up the beam (yellow color) in the interior of the building?

second drawing is the south elevation just haven't put any siding in yet.....Yeah I'm still looking through the instructions for the size of the beams under the header

Hello all,

wanna start by saying you guys are extremely helpful... I find a lot of answers here...these forums saved my life on the oleson village project....that being said I'm looking for some feedback on what I've done so far on this project

nice but lines going trough the text is poor along with dims going trough axes

looks bad.

No offence only my opinion for the plan view

• 3 years later...

i am working on the south elevation drawing and i am confused how they want the rebar in the footings and pier as well as the drain displayed in this drawing.  the instructions given are as follows and i found them to be a very confusing 

• A 4″ drain is set around the outside of the building, with 3″ clear above the footings to the drain and 3″ clear from the piers to the drain.
  • The rebar in the bottom and along the sides of the footings is #4 rebar (12″ diameter) at 8″ OC both ways. The rebar is located 3.5″ from the face of the footing on each edge. The rebar near the bottom of the footing extends up the sides of the footing by 6″. The callout for the rebar is #4 ∅ @ 8″ O.C. BOTH WAYS.
  • Vertical and horizontal rebar is placed in the pier. Notice how the rebar from the pier extends down into the footing—use the same detail here but space the horizontal rebar at 8″ centers. The overlap detail at the bottom of the rebar is 2″ long. This rebar is #6 rebar (34″ diameter) at 8″ OC. Add a callout for this rebar.

all footings and piers are already drawn i am just not sure about the positioning of the rebar from directions or how a drain should be represented as its not something i remember from previous PF assignments. I have very little experience on the construction side of things so i am not exactly an expert how things are built. If anyone can help explain what i am actually drawing in a way i can understand or visualize it i would really appreciate it. 

Thanks ReMark This thread has been very helpful as i work through this assignment and I can see how he has the rebar drawn and I am well past my little drain issue however I should have been more clear in my previous post it appeared i was asking questions with obvious answers at the end of a long day. I can copy that very easy but that is not really what i am looking to do because in the future i don't have that reference. I am trying to get my head around how the rebar would look on the job site as if its not covered in concrete already. i think its important that i understand not just how to draw it but what my drawing will be representing in the field. If you have any insight or can explain in a way someone like me can visualize how the bars are shaped and positioned i would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance I have learned a lot so far just reading these threads as i work through my projects for clarification. 

• 2 weeks later...

Concrete is strong under compression but has weak tensile strength.  Rebar is used to increase tensile strength.  Using a simple example imagine we want to poor a concrete pad for a house.  Rebar would be placed in a grid like pattern to add tensile strength to the pad.  The structural plan might call for #5 bar (5/8" diameter) at a spacing of 8" in both directions.  Depending on the pad thickness there could be more than one layer of rebar.  When it comes to footings or a concrete pier rebar can be shaped to form a "bent" that can take different forms based on the design of the pier or footing.  These bents will be tied together with horizontal rebar.  A structural or civil engineer is responsible for determining the size, shape and arrangement of rebar to be used to strengthen concrete.  I apologize for the delayed response.  I was out of the country and just returned.

• 2 years later...
On 9/13/2019 at 7:23 AM, ReMark said:

Help with Penn Foster structural drafting plate 1

By JimJames1978, November 26, 2018 in Student Project Questions

The last post in the thread referenced above should help you with your question.

Hello everyone, I too have been stuck on this part of the drawing. The images above are helpful but I am having trouble with numerical details and other details. 

Where it states, " The rebar in the bottom and along the sides of the footings is #4 rebar (1⁄2″ diameter) at 8″ OC both ways. The rebar is located 3.5″ from the face of the footing on each edge" Is the "Edge" referring to each "side" of the footing? If not, then what is the edge?

Yes, the "edge" they are referring to would be both sides and the bottom of the concrete footing.  See example below.  Note: rebar is shown in green.

Footing detail.PNG

Edited by ReMark

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Again,

I am now working on what they have title Section B this is a vertical section view of the building. My question is about the pier the footing is supporting it the other student image you can see that the tops of them angle out at the top. If we were looking at it vertically would we still see the angle? Or in other words does the pier angle out on all four sides like an upside-down frustum?

Just about every student who has done this project, and shared images on this forum, have shown the piers angled out in every direction they are viewed in even the ones at each end of the slab.  P-F instructors seem to accept this without question.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello helpful people,

I am going through and tweaking my Structural Project and fixing error of mine that I can fine. I keep coming across the same problem. I have built a block of the piers and I built it wrong. I fixed the pier in the block editor; I went through and replaced it where I can find it. Twice now I have fixed the block and it keeps going back to the original. I even went to a drawing where it is correct copied it and when I paste it, it pastes the original incorrect pier. What am I doing wrong?

Edited by JonnaMcSki

1. Erase all pier blocks.

2. Purge the block definition.

3. Insert the new pier block or recreate a new pier block as conditions warrant.

Edited by ReMark