How can I do typical rooms - Electrically

yrnomad

To start, I'm still new to Revit...

We are doing an apartment building, where there are typical unit plans used throughout the building. (i.e. Unit 1A, Unit 1B, Unit 2a, Unit 2B....)

Not really knowing how this works from the Architectural side, I've guessed the Architect develops a Floor Plan for a "Unit 2A", then replicates it around the building, rotating/mirroring it as needed.

Is there a way to do this with my electrical devices and fixtures, creating it once, then automatically replicate it across all of each of that type?

Thanks.

Yes, BUT.... you'll have problems. Model Groups is what you're after, but they work good for Architectural components and not so much for MEP Systems. What some people have done is literally mimic the 'ol AutoCAD XREF method. Create one room just the way you like it and name the file accordingly. Link this "Child" Revit model into a "Parent" Revit model. Then you can copy/rotate/place on other levels as you see fit. Each duplicate will show as an individual sub-link when you expand Revit Links in V/G.

The downfall to this is you can't then use the engineering side of Revit. If you wish to do this, you'll have to go about it the way of copy/pasting things in place and connecting all the systems in a single model. Which, is perfectly fine, and the way I would personally do it.

And you can still try Model Groups if you'd like. Just be forewarned is all. :)

-TZ

Hmm, ok.

Maybe another question is in order. With AutoCAD, we didn't even reference them around the building. We'd make a sheet that had one of each type of unit plan, and show the wiring, devices and fixtures.

I thought about doing this with revit, but I was worried about the electrical load of each unit's Panel not showing up on the overall residential service load.

Your worry is correct. Since you answered the most important question - that of using Revit to actually circuit the devices and connect them to panels, calculating the VA loads/etc, then you need to not group them. Get one room done and copy them around as needed, then start circuiting them.