Autocad 2014- Dynamic UCS not working

Frank Lawson

I'm relatively new to CAD, self taught, for the purposes of drafting scaled drawings for my company and a few sets of extension plans for friends- so please excuse my limited knowledge, I've also done a search to see if this has been discussed previously.

Recently (last couple of days) I've started experimenting with 3D modelling and have run into difficulties with the Dynamic UCS function.

I've been trying create a 3D representation of my house using a 2D layout plan and have followed the following YouTube steps-

•Layout drawn in plan

•Clicked bottom left corner of view cube when In the "top" position which alters the view to that needed to 3D model. (Still labelled WCS)

•Drawn around the plan, then offset to match wall widths

•Used the press pull function and set walls to height

•Set lintel heights by drawing around the base and moving up using ORTHO.

Now this is where the problem lies, when I attempt to draw/cut out the windows and doors-

•DUCS is turned on, all other functions that arnt needed are turned off

•Go to draw the Windows/doors but they draw on the plan axis instead of the vertical axis.

This is where I believe DUCS is supposed to auto change to match the models different faces/axis to prevent you for having to play with the View cube or set a new UCS. The face of the the press pulled solid or polysolid highlight but it still draws On the plan plane.

I will add that it did work at first, I was able to draw on the vertical axis, however I went to remeasure a window and got waylaid for a few hours, when I came back and started up again it had stopped working and hasn't worked since.

I've googled the crap out of it, have tried commands like UCSFOLLOW and DYMMODE etc but it doesn't seem to be working, I've also tried starting new drawings from a raw ISO3D template and using a 3Dsolid poly wall instead of press pulling 2D poly lines but experience the same problems.

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Frank

The main thing is to pick on the correct surface. In 3D it is easy to think a surface is closest to you when it is actually behind other solids. That is all I can think of, other than being certain you have DUCS on and is not actually off, or you have selected another icon by mistake.

Many thanks for your comments.

I know where your comming from with regards picking surfaces, To be sure, I've also tried filtering selections to faces only and it still doesn't work- you can visibly see that the 3D pointer does not blip to the relevant axis when hovering over a particular face.

Either way, I believe that DUCS should be doing this for you for ease of use, preventing from having to set a new UCS to draw on that specific plane. It is this that appears not to be working, I've toggled on/off by clicking, command and by using F6.

When I select WCS view and adjust to a particular face it naturally draws fine, but this doesn't cure the issue with DUCS.

Very frustrating.

I've just removed and reinstalled the product and it is now working as it should, however when I open the saved drawing mentioned above, it does not work.

Not one for leaving problems unresolved, but it works.