How to work with imported DWG From Autocad ?

danielk

I don't know what is the proper way to work with DWG that are imported to Inventor,

for example, i have a 2D drawing from a manufacture and i need to make it 3D, so i import the dwg but it comes in different types of lines.. what should i do , draw over the lines ? or constraint ang give dimension to each line ? any good tutorial on the subject will be a great addition

Thanks

There are many schools of thought on this. It would help if we understood the complexity of your geometry you are dealing with as well as the following information...

Version of Inventor?

Does this geometry change from the vendor from time to time?

You could also attach an image of the geometry you are dealing with if that is easier than describing it.

Attached a file example10''.dwg

There are many schools of thought on this. It would help if we understood the complexity of your geometry you are dealing with as well as the following information...

Version of Inventor?

Does this geometry change from the vendor from time to time?

You could also attach an image of the geometry you are dealing with if that is easier than describing it.

There is not much in the file to work with.

I would use only for reference.

Your file name is 10(inch), yet there appear to be cm dimensions, yet the document units (-dwgunits) is meters, so the dimensions don't make logical sense.

I would -

get rid of all of the fasteners (take note of the size) and any extraneous geometry.

Create a file for each view.

Import the views onto appropriate planes (in 2D sketches).

Do not use these sketches for anything other than reference.

Start new sketches to start modeling the parts (I would do as multi-body solids).

If you don't have the actual physical parts to take measurements, or more detailed drawings, all the rest is guessing artwork.

that looks like an exported 3D drawing file, solidworks perhaps?

ask for a 3D file in a format that can be imported to Inventor, there are several.

There is not much in the file to work with.

I would use only for reference.

Your file name is 10(inch), yet there appear to be cm dimensions, yet the document units (-dwgunits) is meters, so the dimensions don't make logical sense.

I would -

get rid of all of the fasteners (take note of the size) and any extraneous geometry.

Create a file for each view.

Import the views onto appropriate planes (in 2D sketches).

Do not use these sketches for anything other than the reference.

Start new sketches to start modeling the parts (I would do as multi-body solids).

If you don't have the actual physical parts to take measurements or more detailed drawings, all the rest is guessing artwork.

What do you mean by reference? how exactly is the workflow?

*it did come from Solidworks, but they will not release any 3D file even not x_t

JD is right, there is not much here you can use to create a new Inventor model from it.

It seems odd that the mfg won't supply you with a STEP or IGES model of the 3D solid, but a lot of MFGs don't supply it because there is a lot of engineering information stored in the design that they would not want anyone stealing. If you are just using if for a reference in a design since it is probably purchased, they should create a simplified version without that intelligent information inside it. Now, since you are probably buying this, you really don't need it to be that precise so the general location of the inlets/outlets is all that is truly critical to your design I surmise.

Since you did not say which version of Inventor you are using I will assume 2016. In 2016 you can bring in the DWG as a DWG underlay and project the geometry you need and reference off it to get your ideal reference model created. You would probably create this shape with a few lofts and a few extrusions. I would also remove the items that are not necessary like the fasteners before you bring it in as they probably ship with the unit. If not you can easily recreate them from Content Center inside Inventor if you are responsible for supplying them.

JD is right, there is not much here you can use to create a new Inventor model from it.

It seems odd that the mfg won't supply you with a STEP or IGES model of the 3D solid, but a lot of MFGs don't supply it because there is a lot of engineering information stored in the design that they would not want anyone stealing. If you are just using if for a reference in a design since it is probably purchased, they should create a simplified version without that intelligent information inside it. Now, since you are probably buying this, you really don't need it to be that precise so the general location of the inlets/outlets is all that is truly critical to your design I surmise.

Since you did not say which version of Inventor you are using I will assume 2016. In 2016 you can bring in the DWG as a DWG underlay and project the geometry you need and reference off it to get your ideal reference model created. You would probably create this shape with a few lofts and a few extrusions. I would also remove the items that are not necessary like the fasteners before you bring it in as they probably ship with the unit. If not you can easily recreate them from Content Center inside Inventor if you are responsible for supplying them.

Im using 2015 Version

In that sense you are limited to import only. Take a look through this old handout I made to get started. Post questions if you have them but you will find you will mostly be remodeling in Inventor with maybe a few of the curves in your print as rails or centerlines for a loft.

I will keep this in my dropbox for 7 days, after that no promises on the download.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4015397/Leveraging%202D%20data%20in%203D%20Modeling.pdf