need help drawing a cribbage board

garrysems

I'm pretty new to Autocad but understand some of the basics. Unfortionately this task is beyond my experience. I need to draw a cribbage board shaped like the Calgary Flames logo ( the burning C ). I'm sort of stumped as to how to go about this. Here are some questions to get me going.

1. what type of image should I pull from the net to begin with?

2. how do I bring the image into autocad so that I can work on it?

3. how do I trace the general outline? I want to offset the outline so that my cribbage peg holes follow the general shape of the logo.

4. how do I calculate the total length of this shape so that I can divide it up evenly for the peg holes.

I appreciate any help anyone can give on this. Hopefully I can figure it out so I can cnc the board and take some pics! Thanks again!

Rough cut using a .gif file and the IMAGEATTACH command. Traced using a polyline. No attempt made at smoothing the lines. Not necessarily the best method in my opinion for what you ultimately want to do.

CalgaryFlame1.JPG

Rough cut using a .gif file and the IMAGEATTACH command. Traced using a polyline. No attempt made at smoothing the lines. Not necessarily the best method in my opinion for what you ultimately want to do.

[ATTACH]55988[/ATTACH]

nicely done go flame go

Carey Price is killin' it. And he's named 2nd Star of the Month on NHL.com, right behind our beloved Jamie Benn. If only the Stars had Price in net..... we would be unstoppable this season. :)

Carey Price is killin' it. And he's named 2nd Star of the Month on NHL.com, right behind our beloved Jamie Benn. If only the Stars had Price in net..... we would be unstoppable this season. :)

Price is off for the week so other teams will have a chance to catch up

Condon is also good and has tokarski for a back up

The habs are on a losing streak so Dallas has 9 wins and first in the central Western conference so nothing to complain Neimi and Lehtonen has wons too

Nothing to be shamed of

I'm pretty new to Autocad but understand some of the basics. Unfortionately this task is beyond my experience. I need to draw a cribbage board shaped like the Calgary Flames logo ( the burning C ). I'm sort of stumped as to how to go about this. Here are some questions to get me going.

1. what type of image should I pull from the net to begin with?

First id search to see if some one has already created a vector image of you logo. If they have i would find a way to import that into CAD. if you have to start with image, Google the name of your image followed by high rez. look for the highest rez you can find with the simplest elements to it. In other words avoid shading, drop shadows and gradients and stuff like that. Just the best simple image at the highest resolution.

2. how do I bring the image into autocad so that I can work on it?

Id try vectorize it if you could. I dont have any expierence with it though.

Short of that you can use another means to convert you image to vector like in this walk through.

http://www.cadnoob.com/CADnoobJoom/index.php/tutorials-how-to/20-talent-borrows-genius-steals-converting-raster-images-to-cad

If either of those done work for you do as shown above and just trace it in CAD

3. how do I trace the general outline? I want to offset the outline so that my cribbage peg holes follow the general shape of the logo.

To do an offset.. just use the OFFSET command. OFFSET > enter your offset distance > select object and drag the direction of the offset.

This may not be as clean with imported vectors as some times the polylines aren't connected but even if you have to do the offset command for several segments it'll get the job done. Or you could join all the segments and it should be cleaner.

4. how do I calculate the total length of this shape so that I can divide it up evenly for the peg holes.

For this one you have to make sure your polyline is one single line. One you have that just use the divide command.

DIVIDE > enter the number of divisions > select polyline. this will place nodes at even distances along the poly lines.

I appreciate any help anyone can give on this. Hopefully I can figure it out so I can cnc the board and take some pics! Thanks again!