Changing Family Name

O'Huggin

Hi TZ and the rest,

First my problem is I doubt Revit can accommodate my stair requirement. Then I found a way. I'm making a "flying" stairs which has its steps just jotting out and supported from one side, more like organic sculptural piece.

It would be better to recreate a component out of something rather than scratch akin to Jurassic Park movie wherein the egg cell of a present living organism is replaced by the DNA blueprint of a dinosaur.

I found a recycleable material in the form of an island kitchen counter which I will reshape to form the step building block.

Then, I want to totally erase any link to its past and rename its family surname from Casework to Stairs. But I couldn't find a way and I'm thinking the effort is as grievous as petitioning the legal court in the real world. On the Object Styles dialogue box, I only found Modify Categories which can be renamed but not the Family Name.

First my problem is I doubt Revit can accommodate my stair requirement. Then I found a way. I'm making a "flying" stairs which has its steps just jotting out and supported from one side' date=' more like organic sculptural piece.

It would be better to recreate a component out of something rather than scratch akin to Jurassic Park movie wherein the egg cell of a present living organism is replaced by the DNA blueprint of a dinosaur.

I found a recycleable material in the form of an island kitchen counter which I will reshape to form the step building block.

Then, I want to totally erase any link to its past and rename its family surname from Casework to Stairs. But I couldn't find a way and I'm thinking the effort is as grievous as petitioning the legal court in the real world. On the Object Styles dialogue box, I only found Modify Categories which can be renamed but not the Family Name.[/quote']You cannot add, delete or modify the parent Categories. You can, however, add and modify SubCategories.

However, in this case, what you'd want to do is make a copy of the Family and open it up in the Family Editor. Now open the Family Category and Parameters dialog and see if you can change it to something else, such as a component for the stair, but I doubt Revit will let you.

So you can either recreate it in the proper Family template, or instead of using the Stair tool, create an organic Stair by creating an In-Place Family and using a Generic Model, where you have infinite possibilities. This is only geometry, however, and won't behave visually in Plan View like a Stair, so exhaust all other avenues first.

The Stair Tool in Revit is almost a sub-program of Revit all in itself. It's difficult to master it for advanced stair modeling, but once mastered, it is a real gem.