Dinasaur trying to cope with newer releases

PGuatney

I am a daily user of Autodesk products, mainly AutoCAD since 1988, when I learned it at Vo-tech. The screen was black, green lines, and a huge digitizer tablet with a stylus and cord. Nothing like what it is now. And that's a good thing! AutoCAD has come a long way and I can do so much more now with it. I've been able to keep up with the changes for the most part along the years, but the last few releases have just blown my productivity out of the water. I find myself researching solutions to why AutoCAD "won't do this anymore" or attempting to find an obscure setting that has mysteriously changed, or learning a new protocol that hasn't sped up the command. Much of the "Added Features" new in ACAD Mech. leave me asking "Why would I need that?" and "Why is that better/ faster/ or easier than what was in place before?" I recently made the leap from 2013 to 2016. 6 months in and the whole thing is a mess. I haven't added ANY significant functionality, but I feel like I have lost a lot. There is a question in here..... How do I re-join the cool kids group and make AutoCAD start working for me again? I am engineer, not a CAD Operator, not an IT guy, not a CAD-nerd. AutoCAD is a tool, not my only tool. Really, I don't want to be an Autodesk Elite Power-User, whatever. I just want my AutoCAD to be a tool that improved my accuracy and increased my work-flow, not stop it dead in it's tracks.

Seems like going back to school and learning AutoCAD after more than 20 years of using it sounds wrong. I'm not that hard-headed, I can learn. I probably make too much money to justify to my boss I "Need Training" on something I am supposed to be competent at. And it's embarrassing anyway. When I call my CAD-vendor tech support, they can't actually fix these issues either. They offer a patch or tell me to reset settings to defaults, re-install the software, all useless and time-consuming ideas that yield only slight or temporary improvements.

Maybe in the never ending quest to "Improve" and "Add functionality" to AutoCAD, Autodesk has actually ruined it with needless and complicated features that only people who like to keep life exciting want. In engineering and manufacturing, the IDEAS need to be ever-changing and evolving, the tooling needs to be reliable, consistent, and bomb-proof. AutoCAD used to do that.

Where do you go from here?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Dana W

• RobDraw

• PGuatney

From 2013 to 2016 is 3 versions and a few big changes depending on what commands or methods you used before. One way to get some help or training is keep looking/reading these AutoCAD forums and sites. Even hop over to AUGI and join in (free there too) might even find an AUGI Users group in the area that may help and make you feel kool again, if nothing else telling war stories about fighting those big floppy disc.

Where do you go from here?

Therapy, err, I mean tutorials. Either self train or bite the bullet and get formal training. AutoCAD is better and more efficient. There are many ways to make it work for you instead of you struggling to make it work.

Call your local AutoCAD reseller and inquire about training. Most offer one day "new features" courses and three day intensive courses. Pick the course that will meet your needs. The other alternative is forget upgrading and go back to the last version you felt the most comfortable with.

... make it work for you instead of you struggling to make it work.

I just wanted to say that this is a fantastic line, which aptly describes my own situation at work these days; I sincerely wish more folks viewed the world through this prism.

If you are struggling with features, post it here, there are so many people that can come up with so many different ways of doing the same thing, you would never find that on a course no matter how good it is. I don't mean to take away from the quality and importance of following a training program. But the strength of Autocad is the ability to adapt the program to your own needs and preferred method of working. I have found that getting that last bit of speed out of the system is watching various Forums to see how other people do things.

Wow! All good advice.....

And I have taken that advice. However, the "Hey, shaddup." Advice from Dana W, I won't take that because it isn't helpful. "Stop whining" and "Think like a winner!!" isn't a solution either.

I have tried all the avenues suggested and still don't have a solution. 20+ year operator, I am not new to this software or it's power and capabilities. In fact, I have exploited it and used it to increase overall accuracy and capabilities within this engineering firm. Over the years, I have developed a rhythm to working quickly within the drawing editor. Most of those beloved commands and protocols have changed, many features have been removed or at least the quick access to them has been removed. THIS is what has stalled my productivity, not advanced age and failure to get with the times. I am not sure local AutoCAD training is an answer. I'm not moving from the 2005 version to 2016, just a couple of release upgrades. Certainly, AutoCAD would not require training to be able to use the same product, with the exception of the NEW FEATURES, which would be understandable.

Thanks however, for all for the advice! Guess I will go find someone who knows how to run AutoCAD so they can teach me how...

This is why I learned all the command aliases, system variables and basic lisp programming a long time ago. I never really relied on the toolbars and I don't use the ribbon much either. I do everything from the command prompt using standard commands or simple lisp routines that I have written. So it doesn't matter what Autodesk does to the user interface. I can continue working as I always have by typing commands at the prompt. My best advice for anyone is to learn the commands and don't rely so much on the interface.

What commands, protocols or features are you referring to that have been removed? I know there are some new commands, and some commands have changed slightly or extra functionality has been added, but they are still basically the same commands. I can't think of anything that has been removed from the program.

If you're looking for a way to get up to speed with the newest version I would suggest getting on Amazon and buy a book. Read it cover to cover and I'm sure you will have no trouble.

And by the way, I'm pretty sure Dana was just making light of the fact that even an old geezer can learn new tricks. It wasn't a shot at you.

The one day seminars appear to be exactly what you need as they bring you up-to-date with new features. Everything else pretty much works the way it always has. When all else fails you can also resort to using the command line.

Start by narrowing your question down to one example of what has changed so drastically that you don't know how to get it accomplished anymore. Someone here will explain, then post the next one,...

When all else fails you can also resort to using the command line.

The command line is the first port of call, not the last. As CAD64 says, they haven't managed to muck that up yet. When all else fails you can start clicking and hunting through menus and ribbons or have toolbars dotted all over the workspace. But a good understanding of the available commands and how to call them quickly at the keyboard has got to be the quickest method (in my opinion) and combine that with some scripts, macros and Lisp's you are onto a winner.

I have tried all the avenues suggested and still don't have a solution.

Why not?

I'm not being a wise ass. There were some very viable solutions.

What is getting in the way of them working?

Most of those beloved commands and protocols have changed, many features have been removed or at least the quick access to them has been removed. THIS is what has stalled my productivity, not advanced age and failure to get with the times. I'm not moving from the 2005 version to 2016, just a couple of release upgrades.

If 2016 is what you have upgraded to, yeah it has a different "feel" to it, but little has changed outside of new "features". Very little gets removed from the program. Even those useless blips are still available. I'm suspecting that you have failed to keep up with the changes throughout the years, maybe even hanging on to the classic interface, and are now suddenly feeling lost. I have tried to keep up with new features and, IMHO, it is much easier to use than it was 18 years ago.

Guess I will go find someone who knows how to run AutoCAD so they can teach me how...

You found a bunch here. Why walk away?

Edited by RobDraw

The command line is the first port of call, not the last.
Me too. When I stopped using AutoCAD there were a few commands that NEEDED tool buttons but they were few and far between. For my daily draughting I rarely used anything other than the command line.

Hi Guys

To the otimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Sorry I couldn't help it.:ouch:

Dodge

Hi Guys

To the otimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Sorry I couldn't help it.:ouch:

Dodge

I like that! :beer:

I would say about 60% of commands I use daily, I initiate by typing them or use the aliases. L for line, CP for copy, E for erase, type in VIEWBASE, PEDIT, PLINE, 3DPOLYLINE, VPORTS, 3Dorbit, etc. Anyone using AutoCAD and attempting efficiency will use aliases. I also only initiate dimensioning by way of icons. My FEA is done through icons. Inserting structural shapes and designing fastener connections or spur gears is done only through icons. As to what has changed or removed? The array command has changed entirely. Hasn't it? Why do I want my array to be a group? I guess because the EXPLODE command wasn't getting enough business. How about FILLET and CHAMFER? Granted, there is AMFILLET and AMCHAMFER which are totally different, maddening to use and obviously authored by someone who likes to experiment on cats or watch documentaries of "GREAT MOMENTS IN PRE COLD WAR CHESS CHAMPIONSHIPS" . The functionality, the protocol, and many times the outcome are now totally different. Why do I want to fillet 2 lines with a radius and leave one leg sticking off? When will I ever want that? In the 1% of 1% chance I want it, I will use STRETCH, or EXTEND, or any number of other options. However, I get one leg sticking off most of the time. Yes, it is because I am NOT watching the command line and it is operator error. Who watches the command line??? I am used to what the next requirement is and I am already on it. Different protocol in that command now means I am always screwing it up. And trimming that extra leg off my fillet, or using UNDO. Why do I need a standard and customizable list of fillet sizes any way? I can type in .125 faster and more accurately than going to the dialog box, picking the drill down arrow, scrolling through the list of pre-determined sizes, realizing ".125" isn't on the list for whatever reason, scrolling back up, highlighting the field, THEN typing ".125", pick my lines, then realize I didn't hit the ENTER key, so it didn't accept my ".125" and it has now reverted to something else on the standard list, so I re-enter ".125", be sure to hit the enter key this time (IDIOT) and try it again. Or: type FILLET, return. R, return. .125, return, and pick my lines. Don't have to EXIT or ESC the command either! It's over! DONE. Fast, efficient, intuitive, and predictable.

Ditching icons and forcing the use of the RIBBON, means we have to drill down, in some cases several layers, to find an icon that used to be easily accessible at the top of the UI. So, you don't like it???? create a customized ribbon to suit your needs... no problem, you're a CAD genius! Well, actually, BIG PROBLEM. And you're not the genius power-user you thought you were. The method of customizing the toolbars, ribbon, etc. has changed drastically. Anyone who says it has not, has not done it and experienced the complete JOY of having accomplished it so easily in previous releases. Again, I am not describing an issue with the functionality of "NEW FEATURES". That would obviously require training, such as a one-day course, or a book from AMAZON. Agreed. I am discussing the drastic change if existing commands and question how Autodesk arrived at the decision that this makes AutoCAD more accurate, more efficient, or overall a more capable product. How does this speed up my work flow? I think we can all question that about some command we used to love and used effectively, now wonder why it changed and how that is supposed to help us. New releases have to justify their cost and to keep users upgrading (We like to call it "Being Current" or "Up to Date" otherwise we shall be looked upon as UNWASHED, BABBLING HEATHENS, worthy of pity only if we are happily rocking a copy of AutoCAD 2013..). So you have to add "NEW FEATURES". Well, I am all for it. No complaints there. If an existing tool is significantly changed under the guise of "It's better and now more efficient" Shouldn't a user of many, many years see that for themselves the first few times they use the command? "Wow! what a great idea! I am sure glad they finally fixed that! Been thinkin' that for years....."

We tend to ASSUME that a question placed on this forum is put there by someone who didn't make any effort to find an answer on there own. So, we have to assume they know nothing. "Get a book on AutoCAD!" or "Get some training!" or "Shut-up and stop whining. Isn't really a practical or particularly helpful solution. Actually, it is the lazy solution that says: "Man, I am glad I don't have your lack of skills....you need to get more of them.." So, this forum is a place for that. More and better skills.

Additionally, I have a solution for using AutoCAD Mechanical 2016 and getting your Full-sized, easy to see and understandable icons and old toolbars back to the UI. You can ditch that idiotic RIBBON, and go back to being efficient. I will post in more detail how to do it in a separate post. It doesn't take downloading anything weird, writing any code, paying off crime figures. just type the following: "-TOOLBAR" and select "ALL". Watch out! you will get them all, like 50 of them or something. No problem, Right click on any toolbar and check / uncheck the ones you want to see. This is easy to customize too. By the way, this was shown to me by Michael at D3 Technologies in Little Rock, AR. This changed everything for me yesterday.

See, AutoCAD did leave me some scraps, for now. Good, I can throw those SOLIDWORKS brochures away now.

For the fillet problem set TRIMMODE to 1. For drawing electrical diagrams this set to not trim is very handy.

I like the new array but you can always use CLASSICARRAY. You would want the array in a group because it is very easy to adjust in size, quantity, fill, etc. Want to add something to the array, edit the source and it shows through the whole array.

Tip. Start INPUTSEARCHOPTIONS and select Enable AutoComplete, and Enable Mid-string search. Now you can type classic and see what commands are still available in their old form.

I do like the Ribbons and make use of the command line, Ribbons, and toolpalettes. Like anything, once you make yourself take time to learn how to manipulate it it is easy to modify.

Edited by rkent
meant old form, not new form

Thanks all for the responses. I only want to spark spirited debate, backed up by facts about a piece of software that has been a daily friend and source of income to me for more than 1/2 of my life. I look to improve mine and anyone else's efficiency, only. I hope this thread has inspired some to imagine that there are still people seeking answers who have an entire wealth of knowledge within them already and only ask for help when all other avenues have been exhausted. Those people should come here to find those answers.

Thanks all for the responses. I only want to spark spirited debate, backed up by facts about a piece of software that has been a daily friend and source of income to me for more than 1/2 of my life. I look to improve mine and anyone else's efficiency, only. I hope this thread has inspired some to imagine that there are still people seeking answers who have an entire wealth of knowledge within them already and only ask for help when all other avenues have been exhausted. Those people should come here to find those answers.
No worries PGuatney. Many people here have been across all three and a half decades of AutoCAD's life, and they seem to have adopted all the changes pretty easily.

Then there's guys like me who don't think the user is the problem, but the program itself. AutoCAD is archaic to some of us and we're in a time and age where dropping AutoCAD and moving on to another platform is actually the ticket, instead of trying to get a 35 year old program to work in your favor, haha.

I've moved on from AutoCAD and I've had many "spirited debates" regarding the issue. Sometimes instead of giving an old program new tricks, a new program with different tricks is really the ticket. This may be something to look into as well. If you're into mechanical and machinery design, you may want to pick that SolidWorks brochure up after all. Or look into Inventor. It very well may spark a new passion into what you've put your heart and soul into the past two decades.

Just my thoughts out loud anyways. But these fine gentlemen here can certainly assist you in shaping the new AutoCAD interface to fit your needs. They have helped me through the years, and I eventually moved on from using AutoCAD as a design tool. When I do need AutoCAD help I still, after nine years as a member of this forum and many heated debates on AutoCAD being archaic, receive support and assistance from these men and women.

:)

-TZ