radius power dimension landing in nowhereland

I have been fighting with dimensions lately. Some setting must have mysteriously changed. See the capture. I placed a radius dimension and the tip lands somewhere far off, and the dimension is wrong. All 3 attempts yield different results.

Geometry is drawn full size in model space. Used "VPORTS" command to create the view. All the other dimensions in that view land as expected.

What do I have screwed up?

Capture 2 11.6.2015.jpg

All dimensions are placed in the layout. I have experimented with this and the same is true in AMACAD and Vanilla ACAD, any workspace setting. Always the same dimension: 59-3/16 no matter what radius I pick. Maybe this is a complication: this drawing has a solid model and a 2D line and arc drawing in model space. It is a 2 sheet drawing. Sheet 1 uses VIEWBASE to describe the solid model, Sheet 2 uses VPORTS command to describe the 2D flat layout. Of the part. I set DIMLFAC at 0 and let ACAD set the dim scale appropriate to the viewport where dims are placed.

Any chance you can share an actual .dwg file with us? It doesn't have to be the full-blown version just something with enough dteail to exhibit the unusual behavior you are witnessing.

UPDATE ON THIS PROBLEM

I spent some time trying to figure out what is different about this drawing from the countless other 2D drawings I have done for years. With experimenting, I think I have figured out the source of the problem. It's the elevation on the Z axis. I draw primarily everything as a 3D solid, then generate parts needed from that solid. Inserting geometry from a 3D model into a 2D drawing, I use an insertion point of: "0,0,0". AutoCAD isn't putting it there. I had thought that since inserted there, it would be there. Not true. To get my geometry back to 0 on the Z axis, you have to draw a line starting from 0,0,0 out a certain distance and move your geometry from a point to the endpoint of your created line. Using the "MOVE" or "COPY" command, picking a point on the geometry and moving to "0,0,0" WILL NOT place it at 0,0,0. Don't know why. I am going to post this as a separate question to the group.

Anyway, the incorrect dimensions stem from the 2D geometry not being at 0 elevation on the Z axis. Placing it there will correct the problem.

For the 0,0,0 problem, set DYNPICOORDS to 1. Or type #0,0,0 when entering coordinates.

Tip - start using SYSVARMONITOR, as you learn about these sysvars add them to your list in there and set them to the value you need, if they change you will get a notification if you specified in there to get notifications.

Edited by rkent
add # to change to absolute

SYSVARMONITOR sounds promising. I will try it. The 2D geometry most often is created in the 3D model. Could use COPY FACE, FLATSHOT, etc. It perhaps should be moved to 0,0,0 before copyclip to a new drawing, or using insert.

I will try the "#" symbol before 0,0,0. Is there some wisdom to the "#" symbol I need to learn about?

I will try the "#" symbol before 0,0,0. Is there some wisdom to the "#" symbol I need to learn about?

The # was added when they added the dynamic input but I rarely need relative coordinates so I just turn it off with the DYNPICOORDS settings I mentioned.