Help with set up 2015

off the rock

Been away from autocad for a number of years (2002). Now I'm using 2015. Can some one please tell me where options are that used to be in Tools drop down menu.

Also how to find the classic tool bars that I am used to if they exist?

Thanks in advance

This may help with the classic toolbars: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/The-AutoCAD-classic-workspace-is-not-available-in-AutoCAD-2015.html

As for Options, just type OPTIONS at the command prompt or right click anywhere in the command prompt area and select Options from the pop up.

You can also get the drop down menu bar back by typing MENUBAR at the command prompt and change the setting to 1.

Thanks for the info.

One problem, type in Menubar on command line but no setting came up but the Menu bar appeared is the ok?

Thanks

Welcome!

Word of advice as I am currently using 2015. Keep the ribbon and learn to use it. The ribbon comes in quite handy and doesn't appear to be going away any time soon.

Welcome!

Word of advice as I am currently using 2015. Keep the ribbon and learn to use it. The ribbon comes in quite handy and doesn't appear to be going away any time soon.

I agree with this. In previous versions I used to customise a lot but I found migrating my settings to a newer version never worked correctly and it became a royal pain in the butt to customise everything again. This is not a problem now I use the bog standard setup.

You're at a good time to do this as you've been away for so long you won't be familiar with a particular setup.

Actually, the best advice I can offer is to learn the commands and don't rely so heavily on the interface at all. I never really used toolbars or menus and I don't use the ribbon much either. I have always used the command aliases and the only customization I do is creating basic lisp routines.

Re: Options. See that big red "A" in the upper left hand corner of your screen? Click on the down pointing black arrow next to it. In the window that appears look at the bottom for the word "Options" in a rectangular box. Click on it.

Re: Menu Bar. If you type Menubar at the command line the option is either "0" (Off) or "1" (On). Another way to Show/Hide the Menu Bar is to click on the pale white arrow on the far right side of the Quick Access Toolbar (a.k.a. - the QAT) which is immediately to the right of the big red "A"; look near the bottom for the Show/Hide option.

Re: Toolbars. Activate the Menu Bar then click on the Tools drop-down menu. Find the one for Toolbars and hover your cursor over it. This will force a fly-out menu to appear with three choices: AutoCAD, AutoDesk Seek and Express. Put your cursor on the one for AutoCAD and a second fly-out menu will appear to the right with all the available Toolbars listed. Click on the toolbar(s) that you want to see displayed.

Thanks again for your replies, but I am still having problems! I have to admit I forgot to mention that I am using an iMac 5K whereas I learn't on Windows so I am having to learn how to use the computer too. ReMark: you mentioned the big red A in the top left hand corner - I don't seem to have one! In addition the layout of the toolbars is completely different. Is this a Mac issue rather than an Autocad one? I think I am going to have to invest in a new manual.

Thanks again for your replies, but I am still having problems! I have to admit I forgot to mention that I am using an iMac 5K whereas I learn't on Windows so I am having to learn how to use the computer too. ReMark: you mentioned the big red A in the top left hand corner - I don't seem to have one! In addition the layout of the toolbars is completely different. Is this a Mac issue rather than an Autocad one? I think I am going to have to invest in a new manual.
That is a huge difference. A lot of the menu and tool bar items are different than in windows AutoCad. As well, that accounts for the way your MENUBAR functions differently than the way autoCad for Windows works.

It would be best to post future questions in the Mac sub forum on this site than in any of the others. We all assumed you were running Windows.

Why do people leave out important information such as the fact they are running AutoCAD for Mac? Jeez............................................................

I'd suggest buying a copy of the book "Mastering AutoCAD for Mac" by George Omura and Rick Graham.

Here is a link to 12890 articles about AutoCAD for Mac at the AutoDesk website.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-for-mac#?sort=score

Some of the articles are specifically about the 2015 version although most will probably contain information that will be useful no matter what version you are using.

Edited by ReMark

Sorry if it's been a big problem for you lol. I am getting on a bit in years and the old brain box isn't what it used to be. You'll be there one day reMark you young whippersnapper you! Anyway, back to my request for help......for the life of me, I cannot find a 'Mac sub-forum'. Can anyone please signpost me? Ta muchly.

I don't believe there is one here at CADTutor or I need to remove my sunglasses to see it.

There is a forum for AutoCAD for Mac users at the AutoDesk website. Start with this link...http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-for-mac/ct-p/3011

Did you check out the link I posted previously?

You guys are right. There's not a Mac sub-forum here. I was probably thinking of the AutoCad LT sub-forum when I typed that out. That was the last new sub-forum added, I think. Some people think using LT is weirder than using a Mac. :rofl:

Hi ReMark. Yes I did check out the AutoDesk forum, but I do like this one the best and I think from time to time I will use this one. I also had a look at the link. Thank to everyone for the input.