printing an municipal drawing :

ayushbhandari

hello everyone, i am trying to print a municipal drawing and the problem is i dont have any printer that can print on paper size other than A4 in my locality. the only solution is to print it in A4 and then do a photocopy in A3. paper sizes other than A3 are not available. the required scale is 1/8" = 1'. please help me on printing it. please hold my hand as a novice child on this.

#thank_you

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ayushbhandari

• ReMark

• TheCADnoob

• Dana W

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have you contacted maybe some other design or manufacturing companies to see if they have a large printer or even A3. Make a pdf then you can print to probably any printer at what ever size you like.

Next if you find someone, do not jump to a A1 as a pdf a A3 can be very good even blown up to A1, A big A1 high res is a huge file at times and takes a long time to print.

A municipal plan if it does not move its in the plan and its true XYZ

ScreenShot020.jpg

1/8"=1'-0" is typically not a scale used to print municipal drawings since it is an architectural scale. Most times an engineering scale would be used. For example, 1"=40'.

What exactly is this "municipal" drawing you are trying to print? Is it a street layout? Or is it a building (ex. - wastewater treatment plant)?

Why would you specify an architectural scale that is typically associated with drawings done in imperial units on a metric size sheet of paper? It doesn't make any sense. Why aren't you using a metric scale for the drawing?

hello everyone, i am trying to print a municipal drawing and the problem is i dont have any printer that can print on paper size other than A4 in my locality. the only solution is to print it in A4 and then do a photocopy in A3. paper sizes other than A3 are not available. the required scale is 1/8" = 1'. please help me on printing it. please hold my hand as a novice child on this.

#thank_you

What problem are you trying to solve by printing to A3? something the size of a municipal plan id imagine would be blown out tolerance for any scaling purposes on an A4, much less an A4 scaled during a photocopy to an A3. You can print window on a drawing and paste together as may A4s as you would like to create like a mosaic at what ever size you need, so im not certain what your root problem is.

The root problem is his printer only spits out A4 size sheets when he actually needs A3. To get around this problem I suspect he will take the A4 print over to the photocopier and scale it up to fit on the A3 size paper. If the end result is supposed to be to a recognizable/acceptable scale then he'll have to do some math otherwise the end result will not be "to scale". Have you ever done something similar going from a paper size of 8.5x11 to 11x17 all while trying to maintain some sort of scale?

The other option would be to print to the A4 size and include a scale bar then scale the whole thing up on the photocopier as large as possible and still get it to fit on the A3 sheet of paper. Scale won't matter, per se, since a scale bar will go along for the ride. I would expect the enlargement scale to be something less than 145%.

Edited by ReMark
Straigten out by A'ss LoL

The root problem is his printer only spits out A3 size sheets when he actually needs A4. To get around this problem I suspect he will take the A3 print over to the photocopier and scale it up to fit on the A4 size paper. If the end result is supposed to be to a recognizable/acceptable scale then he'll have to do some math otherwise the end result will not be "to scale". Have you ever done something similar going from a paper size of 8.5x11 to 11x17 all while trying to maintain some sort of scale?

The other option would be to print to the A3 size and include a scale bar then scale the whole thing up on the photocopier as large as possible and still get it to fit on the A4 sheet of paper. Scale won't matter, per se, since a scale bar will go along for the ride. I would expect the enlargement scale to be something less than 145%.

I think it's the other way round. The OP only has the smaller size A4 and needs it on A3. Can the printer do "POSTER"? If so, print the dwg full size on "POSTER", then tape it together aligned, and copy to A3.

Looks like I have my A's crossed.

One would think they'd call the smallest size A0 and the largest size A6. Brits......no wonder their empire folded.

The root problem is his printer only spits out A3 size sheets when he actually needs A4. To get around this problem I suspect he will take the A3 print over to the photocopier and scale it up to fit on the A4 size paper. If the end result is supposed to be to a recognizable/acceptable scale then he'll have to do some math otherwise the end result will not be "to scale". Have you ever done something similar going from a paper size of 8.5x11 to 11x17 all while trying to maintain some sort of scale?

The other option would be to print to the A3 size and include a scale bar then scale the whole thing up on the photocopier as large as possible and still get it to fit on the A4 sheet of paper. Scale won't matter, per se, since a scale bar will go along for the ride. I would expect the enlargement scale to be something less than 145%.

Putting the scale bar +1

I tell those requesting prints that if they are relying on scale they should print the drawing in its intended size which is usually an A1 around here. Most are happy with A3s as when they are using A3s its usually in the estimating phase of the projects so the tolerances are acceptable.

The problem with scaling via photocopy is you cant control any skewing or stretching that may happen especially if they are using a document feeder. My guess is that if there are no plotters around they are probably just work horse office printers and they don't have to worry about technical duplication. Then again even consumer printers these days are pretty good.

Can you attach a copy of the drawing (not an image) to your next post? It would be in your best interest.

This is not fully complete though. but still please help me with printing

final.dwg

i've made the pdf but the problem is i dont have any printer that can print on paper sizes larger than A4. :(

Then include a scale bar and enlarge the drawing via the photocopier to fit on the larger size paper. I'm assuming your photocopier is capable of doing enlargements. Is that correct?

i am novice in all this and i am trying to complete an assignment. i am away from the capital, where i am studying and since it is festive season out here everyone is out of reach. i'll attach the autocad file, please put some light.

final.dwg

This is not fully complete though. but still please help me with printing

So this is an architectural drawing NOT a municipal drawing. There is a difference.

Why the reference to an imperial (architectural) scale? Where are you located?

yes the potocopier can enlarge up to A3 but how on which scale do i print it on A4? in the recomended scale of 1/8"=1', the output is very tiny.