how to delete useless .dwg file when using .dwt

dunno790

Hello, I am very new to AutoDesk, but since it's my subject at university I can't learn some things on time and have to ask for help (even though I assume it's very basic question).

So we started doing a model and we saved it as .dwt file, afterwards we reached the point when we should save it as a new .dwg file (to work in 3D mode). The problem is that I messed it up somehow and I don't even remember how I did it, but when I open my first file (.dwt) it has 2 same schemes made by me on two tabs - one drawing1.dwg and one .dwt. Now when I repeat the exercise which we did on engineering design I overwrite drawing1.dwg to my .dwt file and I have just one .dwt file.

I don't know if that's a mistake but I would rather have my exercise done like everyone else in the group since it's going to be graded, so please tell me how can I delete this drawing1.dwg and leave proper .dwt file. I tried various methods but still when I open my .dwt I get 2 tabs with one drawing1.dwg. I'm probably missing some really basic action but I'm running out of time. Thanks for any help.

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

Any .dwg file can be used to create an identical .dwt file, courtesy of the SAVE AS command, and by specifying the file type wanted for saving as .dwt.

If I understand you correctly, the only problem with your .dwt file is that there is an extra layout therein?

If so, all you need to do is to open your .dwt, and right click on the unwanted LAYOUT tab at the lower left of your screen, and select DELETE.

I hope that helps you, if not reply, and explain further.

It is meant to be used as a template.

If you start a new drawing using that template, it will be a new .dwg file, not a .dwt file.

In that way you can work on the new .dwg file, without any concern for the TEMPLATE which is safely stored in your template directory.

Than you for your respond.

Let me use this screenshot as an example:

autodesk-showcase-image.jpg

In my project I have two tabs instead of one like presented on image above, the tabs I am talking about are the top ones (here there's one tab - Drawing1) meanwhile If I understood correctly you explained me how to delete tabs on the bottom (model/layout1/layout2).

Even if I click "x" on useless tab and save my project, than after loading my .dwt file I get 2 tabs again.

But after reading your post I assume that it's not a big deal and it shouldn't be a problem. Anyway thanks for help!

I forgoet what those drawing tabs are called, I think they were new in 2016, I use 2013. Somebody will help you with them. If it were me, I would probably turn them off, as they eat up a lot of screen real estate.

Don't LOAD your .dwt file.

Start a NEW drawing, and when asked from which template, pick your chosen .dwt.

That is DIFFERENT than OPENING your .dwt.

The system variable for enabling/disabling File Tabs is called FILETABSTATE.

Filetabstate.JPG

From the looks of the image you attached you failed to save your drawing under a unique name so AutoCAD defaulted to Drawing1.dwg. The proper procedure after having created a custom template file is to start a new drawing with the template then do a "Save As" and give your drawing a new/unique name. You did not do that. Just out of curiosity what is the name of your custom template file?

Edited by ReMark

The tabs above are showing separate files, so you haven't done anything wrong and you don't have that as part of your .dwt file. If it really bothers you change STARTUP to 2. Close AutoCAD and reopen, pick a file to open from the startup screen, you won't have the extra Drawing1 file showing.

I was under the impression the OP had already saved the drawing.

From post #3.

In my project I have two tabs instead of one like presented on image above, the tabs I am talking about are the top ones (here there's one tab - Drawing1)

Reread the text in post #3.

Edited by rkent

I can't imagine points would be deducted because a student has one tab, two tabs or a hundred tabs showing on his screen. In the end one would think the final grade would be based on a print out of the drawing. After all, if you can't print what you have drawn then what's the point?

Thank you for your help guys. As I said I am very new to AutoCad and not sure what I'm doing. It sounds silly for me that someone would give less points because of having more tabs, but the problem is that if u haven't done the exercise step by step like the tutor did, than it might be a problem.