How do I Open/View/Import .SLDPRT files?

rwhitt0724

Let me start by saying I've never used Solidworks or it's files. I've used a ton of Autodesk programs & I use SDS.

I was email 2 .sldprt files along with a couple of DXF's & images. I'm able to open the DXF's and pics no problem. But I can not get the .SLDPRT file to open with any program?

I have tried to open/import the SLDPRT files with Inventor 2015, Fusion 360, AutoCAD 2015, & Adobe Acrobat DC. All of these programs tell me there is an error or that the file is not the correct type of file?

Can anyone help me with this?

When I try to import the .sldprt file into AutoCAD Mechanical 2015, I get a dialog bubble that says "The specified file is invalid or unsupported". Is it possible that the file was emailed incorrectly & now it is corrupt? The file was sent directly as an attachment and was not in a ZIP folder? Would that make a difference?

I haven't contacted the client yet to see if they might be able to send me another file.

I just downloaded a program called "eDrawings 2016" and I am able to open the files, but with this being just a viewer, there's not much I can do to get information from the file.

Seeing as how I'm able to open these files in eDrawings, I would imagine that rules out a corrupt file. I'm going to try to install AutoCAD 2016 & see if I can maybe import the file into that.

I spoke with the client & they said they are using Solidworks 2015. I'm honestly not even sure what to ask the client regarding the SLDPRT file, because I'm not even sure if there is a program that allows you to open a SLDPRT file (or any other Solidworks file) besides Solidworks? The "eDrawings" program is nice for viewing the file, but I can't really get any actual info/dimensions off of the file.

Now that I've ruled out that the file is corrupt because it opens with eDrawings, I'm not sure why it won't import into my AutoCAD.

And when I say "client" I should say "potential client". "Potential" leaning on my ability to get this Solidworks file into a navigable program that we currently have.

See THIS THREAD.. Your AutoCad is already too old to open SW 2015 files. It is that simple. By the time AutoCad 2015 hit the street, Solidworks 2015 was already 1 release ahead of it. At least that is what I got from the thread noted.

Dana W, thanks. That's exactly what I needed to know. I'm in the process of downloading 2016 AutoCAD now so hopefully it will work import into that.

Whenever one deals with a client or potential client that is using a program that you are not using the first question out of your mouth should be..."Which version are you using?" If you have never heard of the program your next questions should be...

1. Can the program save to the DWG or DXF file format?

2. Can the program export to the DWG or DXF file format?

And the last question regarding software should be..."What file formats can your program open and/or import?"

This is something I try to drill into the heads of all the engineers here whenever they are dealing with outside vendors or contractors yet few if any remember to ask.

Fusion360 can open sw2015 files but not 2016 yet. There should be no reason you cant use fusion360.

Having said that I don't typically like to cross platforms unless needed. Can I ask what you are supposed to do? I assume they want files back. As Jd said an intermediate format is best if you are having problems. .xt or step are my choices.

• 2 weeks later...

You can also get the client to export the Solidworks file into a format that you can open.

.dxf, .dwg, .iges, .sat, .step

and use the import command in autocad or inventor

• 1 month later...
.... By the time AutoCad 2015 hit the street, Solidworks 2015 was already 1 release ahead of it. ...

Actually, you stated this backwards.

Autodesk 2015 products had already been released several months before SolidWorks 215 was released.

So when AutoCAD 2015 was released - there was no such product as SolidWorks 2015. Kind of hard to build in translator for a product that doesn't even exist (at the time).

Oops, I replied to an old thread.

The point was AutoCad was still one year behind the solidworks file formats.

You would get along with my wife. She brings up stuff I got wrong many years ago.:P