drawing scale keeps reverting

davebin

maybe these are related but while working in a drawing model space at 1/8" scale either I am doing something or there is a bug that suddenly causes the drawing to revert 1/2" scale. And then the snap setting keeps changing from 0 to 1. I can explain away the snap changing alot since I'm always reaching up and trying to hit F8 to ortho on and off but the scale changing 5-6 times a day has me perplexed. And there is an additional issue that the dynamic input which I despise is on the screen following my cross hairs around even though I do not have the setting checked in the customizaion diag. box.

Why are you drawing "to scale" in model space? Or are you in a layout using a viewport (that has its scale set to 1/8"=1'-0") to see the objects you created back in model space and popping into and out of model space via the viewport?

Attach a copy of the drawing with enough detail in it so we can see the problem with our own eyes. Someone will post back with a solution if you're lucky.

Dynamic Input is a toggle at the bottom of your screen on the Status Bar. Try setting DYNMODE to a value of -3.

I typically do not like working through the viewports in paperspace. Thanks for Dynmode -3. that is helpful. sorry cannot upload the file, way to big.

I can't think of one good reason why AutoCAD seemingly for no reason at all would change the scale of your drawing from 1/8" to 1/2"=1' all of its own volition. Your hands don't consist of 10 thumbs do they?

Can you force the behavior at will or is this a random event?

Re: drawing. Just need enough of the drawing to exhibit the behavior; not the entire drawing. Your can attach it to a subsequent post or place it on a file sharing website like DropBox and post a link to it here or you can visit my Profile and leave your email address in a message and I'll contact you. Best I can do.

Drawing "to scale" yet using annotative scaling; that's a new one on me. Am I reading your post correctly because if I am my next question would be "Why bother...why not just go old school?"

ok I admit it. I am totally lost when it comes to how all that scaling works. I mean really LT PSLT MSLT CANNON CELT VISRETAIN. I see my idea about drawing in 1:1 is not the answer either. If it bothers me enough I'll just see what happens when I upgdrade to 16 in a month or 2 because I really believe somehow I have corrupted autocad 15.

The annotative scale of modelspace has NOTHING to do with the true scale at which you are drawing. It merely allows the annotative objects (if you have any) to appear at the scale you wish to see them in at the moment.

Unless you've mucked about with UNITS and/or -DWGUNITS and/or SCALE you are still drawing at 1:1. If you are not intentionally using annotative objects, turn the tool off.

Untitled.jpg

I checked your drawing. You are drawing at 1:1, your drawing units are INCHES, and your UNITS for length are architectural, set to 1/32" precision. Works for me. just set your Annotative scale bar to 1:1, turn it off using the Customize button down at the far right bottom, and move on. You have it confused with what you are thinking of as drawing scale.

ok I admit it. I am totally lost when it comes to how all that scaling works. I mean really LT PSLT MSLT CANNON CELT VISRETAIN. I see my idea about drawing in 1:1 is not the answer either. If it bothers me enough I'll just see what happens when I upgdrade to 16 in a month or 2 because I really believe somehow I have corrupted autocad 15.

Previously in post #1 you said you were drawing in model space at 1/8" scale. But now you're saying, and Dana confirms, you are not drawing "to scale" (as one might do on a drafting board) but drawing 1:1. Are you new to AutoCAD?

If you really want to use annotative scaling for such features as text and dimensions then you should draw everything in model space at full size then switch to a layout and create one or more viewports and assign each a different scale. The annotative scales for your text and dimensions might be 1/8", 1/4", 1/2" or whatever architectural scale you are used to using.

Update: I have been unable to duplicate the problem you say you are experiencing using the file you provided. What method did you use to determine that the scale had changed?

Edited by ReMark

well I owe you a figured it out. I use the view command to work on either the plank layout or the beam and column layout for this company and I must have been working on details when I created these because I created the views @ 1/2" scale. so every time I changed views, I changed the scale!:) And you have make new views @ the correct annotation scale beause once you make the view it is set in stone and cannot be changed.

I like to refer to this type of "problem" as OIE (Operated Induced Error). Sometimes WE are our own worst enemy but it's easy to blame the software (a bug!).

Glad to hear you figured it out. Thank you for updating us.