Work and home computer via EULA with new Desktop Subscriptions?

tzframpton

Does anybody know about installing on work and home computers with the Desktop Subscriptions? I knew this was an option in the EULA with the perpetual licensing (the licensing that's been around forever).

If you can't, how well does the transfer license utility work to swap between computers? I currently have a single user license with Bluebeam and their license transfer is seamless and easy. If it's something like that, then I wouldn't mind using it.

Any ideas on this? Thanks!

-TZ

Yes, you can install your software on both your work and home computers with the Desktop Subscription. Been doing it for more years than I care to admit. Have NEVER used the license transfer utility either. Every year I call my local reseller and ask "Is it still legal to run the same version of AutoCAD at home that I do at work?" His response...."Yes, as long as it isn't concurrent." "Thanks, Don. Have a good day." "Bye." "Bye Mark." And that's all it have ever taken. I think the last time round the entire conversation took less than 30 seconds.

I have done the same in the past.

If I remember correctly you need to get a new activation code from your software rep for the 2nd activation.

I am pretty sure it isn't the same key but is linked to your 1st activation.

It is the same process except for the different key code.

Since I am responding a couple of days after the question, did you get it activated? If so can you tell us the steps?

Just so if someone does a search they may find this.

Thanks

Yes, a new (different) activation code is required but it does not come from the software rep (i.e. - authorized reseller). It comes via a download during the activation process.

They no longer call it the EULA and instead it is the License and Services Agreement, lawyers I guess splitting hairs. Anyway the part you want is in Appendix B for a single license.

I just realized you asked about desktop subscriptions so the above probably doesn't apply.

AUTOCAD 2016 LSA.jpg

Edited by rkent
added words

We have been on Subscription for the last four years and the subject never came up in the course of any of my phone calls to the rep. "You're good Mark," is about all he has to say.

We have been on Subscription for the last four years and the subject never came up in the course of any of my phone calls to the rep. "You're good Mark," is about all he has to say.

You do know there are two types of Subscriptions now, right? You are on Maintenance Subscription for a perpetual license, the question is for a Desktop Subscription.

One quick phone call will ascertain whether Tanner can do what I am doing or not. If he can't then I'm positive he will come back and let us know. And if that's the case I'm sure I'll get an earful of Texas euphemisms for "stupid idiot".:shock: I would expect no less.:lol:

Here is the reply from my reseller via email:

Good evening Tannar,

No problem! With a desktop license it is user locked but you can install the license on a home computer and use it for the duration of the contract. With the perpetual license you can request a home use license which is good for 365 days and after that you would need to get another license. Network licensing is the only way to have a concrete license on your home computer when regarding perpetual licensing.

So it seems it is a yes-yes on both. :)

Request a home use license...........................................bleh. Next they'll want us to raise our hand and ask if we can use the bathroom.:shock: