Slow CAD file, but fine after starting selection tool

byk3bep

Unable to move, zoom, or do mush of anything.

However when I start the selection tool, it works fine.

The file is unworkable. I'm suspecting it has something to do with the text.

There is not much else except lines and polylines. No xrefs, or imported objects.

However there are quite a few blocks with attributes.

I need some help guys.

Thx

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• byk3bep

• ReMark

• Dana W

• RobDraw

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Attach a copy of the drawing to your next post and someone here will take a look at it. Without a copy of the drawing we would only be guessing as to the source of the problem.

I have it running smoothly on my machine at the moment. I got the file size down to about 17.6MB using the Overkill, -Purge and Audit commands. You only have nine text styles loaded and none of them appear to be all that complex.

BTW...Overkill found and removed 1488 duplicate and 5783 overlapping objects. -Purge > Regapps found and removed 22 unreferenced Regapps. And -Purge > All found and removed 10 dimension styles, 4 text styles, 1 linetype, 6 layers and 257 blocks. Audit found no errors.

What are the specs of your computer?

Are you working off of a network or on a stand-alone computer?

I ran the commands you suggested, and removed the above stated, however no significant change.

Running on

AMD Athlon ™ II X4 640 (3GHz)

4GB Ram

64-bit Win7

GPU NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 (1GB)

Maybe it has something to do with your system specs. Are all the drawings you work with this large?

Too bad your hatching is on multiple layers instead of just one layer. If it were on just one layer I would freeze that layer to see if it made an difference.

You also pack a lot of detail into some areas of your drawing such as the desks and chairs. Why do you need a level of detail that depicts the keys on a keyboard or the rings of a three ring binder? Seems like overkill. And much of this is done using individual lines.

Unfortunately the level of detail is not up to me.

The ones I start from the ground up work just fine. I'm a str.eng. and I usualy delete all the junk, but this I got to do the arch, and the file was passed down to me from...

Any other suggestions? I need to get this working :?

Unable to move, zoom, or do mush of anything.

However when I start the selection tool, it works fine.

The file is unworkable. I'm suspecting it has something to do with the text.

There is not much else except lines and polylines. No xrefs, or imported objects.

However there are quite a few blocks with attributes.

I need some help guys.

Thx

Have you verified that it is only happening in this drawing?

I have had something similar happen to me once. My dumb ass left a lisp in start up that was prompting me for a selection before i could do anything. I pent a lot of noob time on that one. Have you checked your command history (f2) to see if anything shows up there?

I can open the drawing and its slow (unresponsive) at first but after a few seconds its fine.

And now it's fine...

I did nothing from the last time it was unresponsive, and yet it works like a charm.

As for the splitting and the file, thought about it, but I was unable to do much of anything in the file.

No lisps.

The last time I tried the flatten cmd, but ACAD froze. Force shut down, restart, and it's working well

I'm :?

Still having problems with this file.

I noticed that "old" objects take 3-4 seconds to select, and 3-4sec to execute a command, but the "new" ones take no time at all. Even if I copy an old object (making a new one), the new one works fine.

When clicking into empty space (selection start), it allsow takes 3-4 sec. Selecting 3-4sec, startin a cmd 3-4sec, and so on.

This is not and optimal use of my time...

Any ideas?

Again I ask...could it be your system specs? You have only 4GB of RAM and a video card with 1MB of videoRAM. I think your system is starving for resources. What other programs are running in the background?

It could be the specs, however, that would not explain the fact that selecting (and manipulating) newly created elements in the same file works like a charm and selecting "old" ones is a pain. This behavior makes me think that there is something wrong with the file, and no the specs, as much as they are not much to be desired.

I turned all background apps of, and there seems to be little to no difference to the performance of the file.

Are you using XREFs? There is something I've come across before that could cause this kind of behavior.

Also, if OSnaps within hatches are active, there are situations that can cause this.

I removed all xrefs, no change.

OSnaps within hatches? Can you elaborate? My hatches are buy selecting closed poly-lines. Lately i switched to associative hatches.

ps

I experienced long delay when exiting form block editor, needed to save+regenerate to get it workable.

There is a setting that allows OSnaps to work within hatches. It is off by default. I have come across a replicable bug that causes lag when it is active.